Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 14:38   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Is their an engine oil additive that shows significant results

I am of the school of thought that if a multi-billion dollar company like Mobil thought an additive could really make engine oil work better they would already be adding it.

The only thing I am aware of that can make a real difference in oil quality would be to add a bypass filtration system to your engine. Combined with regular lab analysis of you engine oil this can greatly increase the oil change interval, and give warning of early failures.

Some long haul trucks use this system and can routinely go years without an oil change. I am not sure I see a huge advantage for recreational boats to do this however.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:22   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I've never met a mechanic who thought well of additives
Well, now you have. I was one for the Caterpillar corporation before I studied Civil Engineering and started my own business. I may have been lucky, but several tests I had conducted for the good of my earthmoving machines in my company proved they saved me money. There has always been 'heated debate' around this which is why I had internal tests conducted by my own mechanical engineers together with oil sampling tests, fuel consumption tests and the like.

I certainly was not trying and am not trying to convince anyone of this, but I did get a whole lot more hours out of my engines in general.

Anyway ... still, I do believe in changing the oils on a regular basis.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:29   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If the objective is to extend engine life on a yacht then it might be better to fit a engine pre heater. However, a small diesel engine will last a couple of decades, its the bits attached to the engine which fail.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 19:29   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Add Bardahl!

Just had to say it, anyone from Ballard who knows Ole Bardahl (as I do), will understand!

Bardahl Marine Oils & Lubricants

Oil Additives

This is what Alaskan commercial fishermen use in their extremely hard worn engines.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 20:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Also, as crazy as this may sound, on our SD 50 sail drives I change the oil every 100 hrs or less as we were having serious issues with cone clutch slippage. That seemed to take care of it.
Did the oil look sparkly? Could you see fine metal shavings suspended in it?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 20:15   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Yes-with Fullerenes!

Fullerene - Polar Plus Formula by Bardahl

Buckminster Fuller was about as ingenious as they come.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 22:23   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Oh lord these oil threads become just like gun and anchor threads,,,,
There is zero substitute for proper maintenance. If your engine needs an additive to continue working properly than there are obvious issues.
Many new cars come with synthetic for break in.
Group 4s are no better than group3s
use a synthetic in a marine diesel you'll be sorry,
Get caught with a gun in Mexico or use a fortress anchor you'll be even sorrier.
Oh yeah
Cats don't sink when inverted
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 00:01   #23

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Folks, We have a 1986 Beneteau 41 down in the BVI's with scads of hours on her original Perkins 4-108 50 HP diesel. We have recently (a couple of years) connected with an excellent maintenance person down there to take care of REGGAE. He recently helped us with an annoying overheat problem and during the course of troubleshooting, had cause to speak with many of the island's diesel gurus. They all suggested using the straight Shell Rotella 40W, rather than the more commonly used Shell Rotella 15W-40W, explaining that the straight 40W offered better lubricating qualities in the tropical climate, where the multi-viscosity was simply not required. We switched! I pass this on for your consideration. Me, I'm knee deep in the swamp and pay attention to the experts. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 14:09   #24

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Has anyone used lucas oil additive? I used it on land and really see a difference in oil pressure and overall performance in warm and cold climates.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 14:44   #25

No one I respect for their knowledge of marine diesels believes in oil additives.

The same is not true for fuel additives as diesel has been reformulated to reduce emissions. Many now recommend additives for lubricity and cetane when buying fuel in the US.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 15:50   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"... I used it on land and really see a difference in oil pressure ..."

If I see *any* variation from the usual oil pressure, to me that means either the oil pressure regulator has failed, or there's some other failure. Or there's been a gross change in the oil viscosity and the pressure regulator isn't handling it.

Oil pressure should be either "right" or "not right" a condition sometimes known as "wrong". Might change with load or temperature or whatever, but in any given scenario, it should be where it always is/was.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:23   #27

The oil pressure change is only about 5 to 10 psi. All withing manufacturer specs. The initial change was ever noticed from the start of using Lucas. Yes psi changes with rpms and oil temp. With normal operating temp at 2100 rpm it is still at 50 psi after all the miles and hours this medium duty diesel has worked. How it is ran does make a difference and oil change schedules to play a big role in how much that motor will run. I was wondering if anyone used lucas. I have used it and not used it. When I use it the motor feels better when I have a hard run. After almost 200,000 miles both motors feel like new instead of tired. Then again I talk to my motor and she tells me when she's ready for a oil change. It's that feeling she is pushing a little less and when I compare my mileage what do you know I'm at the 10k mark on miles and she is using just a little more oil as it gets dirty and breaks down. I also kick up the rpms to 1000 when idling more then a minuite. I have never used a diesel in a marine environment but over 10 years and over 1 million miles on land in many trucks I have a little to compare with my experience on land and using and not using Lucas in the oil.
Old 26-10-2013, 16:31   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I am of the school of thought that if a multi-billion dollar company like Mobil thought an additive could really make engine oil work better they would already be adding it.
Well I guess that solves it, because they do add additives to it. Most quality oils have additives in them.
Old 26-10-2013, 16:42   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, instead of wondering about Lucas, ask them. There are no miracles or secrets in bottles any more. You take a bottle of "stuff" to any college chemistry lab, and someone will be glad to run spectroanalysis and other expensive tests on it, often for the price of curiousity and pizza and beer.

So when any manufacturer says "Oh, there's great secret stuff in here, we can't tell you that"...uhuh. Put Lucas to the test, ask them what's in your favorite bottle, and if they won't tell you and give you an objective basis to evaluate it, pick up some pizza gift cards and a couple cases of beer, then go looking for the teaching assistants.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:50   #30

Good idea. Mostly I see moisture is the number 1 enemy. Diesels have no ignition system and oil keeping a seal is priority for efficient burning from the compression. I don't know how much a moisture rich environment would do with lucas involved if it will break down or keep things lubed up as it is intended. It works in my dealings and I will try it out when I get out there in my vessel.

Tags
engine, oil