Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 09:21   #1
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28
Is a windvane possible with an arch and davits

Maybe somebody has already done this, but is there a way to have a windvane autopilot on a boat with an arch/dinghy davits? Trying to plan for options. Our boat has an autopilot, but for offshore use it would be nice to have a windvane set-up. The dinghy would be on the foredeck for those legs, but how to set up a windvane and with whose gear (Monitor or Hydrovane) perplexes me.

Thanks,
J.M.
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:44   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Is a windvane possible with an arch and davits

With a later model Aries, the "Tilt up", you can quickly remove everything that sticks up from the windvane with 2 quick pins. This allows you use all that space for a dinghy.
In other ways that model is good for this situation. You can remove the entire windvane with just 2 big wing nuts and the 2 control lines.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:30   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Can be done but you must visualise the spacial consequences. Measure twice, drill once. Think about whatever access and maintenance you may need underway - see if everything can be reached for repair or adjustment in heavy going.

The more gear aft, the more interference from turbulence and upwash.

Most boats with plenty of hardware aft go the AP way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:37   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Some units profess use off the lateral plane of the centerline of the vessel.
But, at a reduced efficiency.
Check out Pacific Wind Vanes.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:49   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I have an Aries tilt-up and an arch. No problems. I do not have davits. The dinghy is stored below when on passage.

We take the Aries off when island hopping or coastal and use our AP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:50   #6

What the world needs is a small electronic wind sensor, readily located anywhere you want. then a small servo or solenoid to actuate the windvane hydro rudder like the wood blade does. It should work better than the blade anyway and be in more clear air, yet keep the power of water to steer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think photos always help a discusion like this, as there are many different types of boat sterns and wind vanes and arches and davits.

Please post photos showing your boat's stern with windvane and arch and/or davits if you have that kind of rig set up.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:24   #8

Boat: Dean 365

If you don't mind having an auxiliary rudder, take a look at the Autohelm from Scanmar marine (selfsteer.com). You can separate the wind blade and put it on top of the arch.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:38   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What the world needs is a small electronic wind sensor, readily located anywhere you want. then a small servo or solenoid to actuate the windvane hydro rudder like the wood blade does. It should work better than the blade anyway and be in more clear air, yet keep the power of water to steer.
Most boats already have a wind sensor at the top of the mast which can drive an autopilot by nema. It's a simple 2 wire operation. Hook up a small electric linear actuator to the water rudder input arm... Kind of old world new world.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 14:07   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Another consideration is making sure that the vane is getting air that is not too badly disturbed by the arch. I saw one boat that solved the problem by having a relatively low set of davits with a very long leg on the vane (can't remember the maker but it was a servo-pendulum).
Old 19-11-2015, 14:57   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

There were some suggestions in this thread I started a long time ago. As SteadyHand suggested, I put a photo in so people could see the problem clearly.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rn-106572.html

Since then I have started building an auxiliary rudder style windvane with trim tab, driven by an H vane. Early experiments with the H vane in various positions around the mess at the back of the boat were unexpectedly good. Despite the presence of solar panels, wind generator, davits, dinghy tender and the various shelters from the elements the behaviour of the H vane was excellent in all but the centreline of the boat, where it was practically useless in all conditions.

If you do not want to build your own I suggest you look in the thread for a list of the models of wind vane that allow you to separate the wind vane from the rest of the unit and operate it remotely. I believe there were a few listed that did this, I see Meandercp has listed at least one.

As for whether it should be an auxiliary rudder or something that operates the steering of the boat itself, well that's a whole different question. Our boat was particularly suited to an auxiliary rudder whereas something that worked on the steering would have been very tricky, so it was an easy decision for me.

Matt
Old 19-11-2015, 17:38   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Aries, seems to work for me. Of course the vane is off in the pic but you can see the attachments. I take a bunch of the stuff off the arch when using the vane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	547
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	113349  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 18:13   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Caphorn can custom build a vane to clear your "stuff"

https://www.google.com/search?q=cape...sAQIHA#imgrc=_
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:35   #14

Boat: Pearson 36 cutter

I have a Voyager windvane, and I will be adding davits in the Spring. Called Voyager, and they told me I could extend the SS tube the vane is mounted on so that it is above the davits - no problem. They say lots of people do this, so I plan to make the change next year. I also have radar on a mast at the stern, and I may move that to the mast to avoid adding to turbulence and also to clean up the stern. Plus the radar mast look like crap, so....
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most of the electronic steering systems will do this, but defeats the purpose of having a vane in the first place. Probably will use as much if not more current than just going under auto pilot.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, davits, wind, windvane