Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: IP refit question (tanks and chain plates)

And this,

"I had a 1998 Island Packet 45 for 10 years. It was an extremely well made boat, and I was there for many aspects of its building in Largo, FL.

You state that the encapsulated keel is lead, but in fact it was ingots of iron encased in epoxy. It seemed like hundreds of them were placed in the keel and then more epoxy was used to fill the voids. Any impact might expose one or a few of the iron ingots to the elements, but not all. I had this discussion with the factory (lead vs iron) at the time and was assured it was a solid design.

Still, its not lead as your article says. Maybe they have changed their processes, but the bulk of IPs out there are older boats and this would be how they were built.

My current boat (a Hylas 49) uses lead in the enclosed keel as built from Queen Long Marine in Taiwan.

Rick Fricchione S/V Black Diamond Hylas 49-057 Portsmouth, RI"

Anyway in researching before I bought mine, I could find not one single credible instance of a keel issue on an IP, it certainly is nowhere near as problematic as a boat with some form of wood in the deck, you see wet decks all over the place.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: IP refit question (tanks and chain plates)

It wont fall off like some have.

The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is online now   Reply With Quote

chain plate, refit, tanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: