Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2016, 10:10   #1

Interthane 990, VS Interthane Plus and Perfection

I am painting my boat in the Philippines and after a frustrating month to get to the point of being able to order, the International Paint Distributor now tells me not to expect Perfection performance from Interthane 990
At the same time he does not have anything but Interthane 990

The application is the topsides and deck

Is Interthane 990 not as shiny, not as durable on the deck, is he in CYA mode, etc........

The only other choice is Imron 700 (plane paint not yacht paint).

the Imron Distributors are not recommending it for use on the deck, but says OK for the topsides.
The PH and Aust Distributors have no marine experience is maybe this is just a CYA statement?
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 22:08   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Interthane 990, VS Interthane Plus and Perfection

No, Perfection has been carefully formulated for the DIY applicator. It is specifically designed for roll and tip application. It therefore has excellent flow, making it relatively easy for the minimally experienced applicator to get a nice finish. Interthane 990 will not provide anything like this finish if applied by Rolland tip. This is not just CYA, they are completely different products.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:25   #3

The plan is to spray the primer coats and topcoats complete on the pilothouse bulwarks, cockpit etc. Also spray one topcoat on the deck area + 2 more topcoats on the shiny deck areas between the non-skid areas

Then add flattening agent, and roll the non-skid areas, sprinkle on silica sand. Roll one more coat of top coat over the sand.
Still cannot find plastic beads other than extra coarse and fine so silica sand it looking like the only available choice

As the rollered areas have a flattening agent, shiny is not required nor desired.
Is Interthane 990 as durable on the non-skid areas as Perfection or Awlgrip?

Is the Interthane 990 as shiny and "yachitie" as Perfection or Awlgrip?

Is Interthane 990 easier to touch up on the non-skid areas (sanding sand aside)?

The only available alternative is to use Imron 700 (the paint stuff and not yachitie) on the topsides and shiny deck areas, then roller Interthane 990 on the non-skid areas
Old 18-08-2016, 08:05   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
The plan is to spray the primer coats and topcoats complete on the pilothouse bulwarks, cockpit etc. Also spray one topcoat on the deck area + 2 more topcoats on the shiny deck areas between the non-skid areas

Very good. Although, it sounds like they may be planning on hot coating, ie spraying topcoat over the primer while primer is still tacky. This will not provide a good finish if they do; make sure primer is sanded out to at least 400 grit before topcoat application.

Then add flattening agent, and roll the non-skid areas, sprinkle on silica sand. Roll one more coat of top coat over the sand.
Still cannot find plastic beads other than extra coarse and fine so silica sand it looking like the only available choice

Put flattening agent in the final coat only. The one you apply after sprinkling sand. Get a little of fine and extra coarse and do a sample piece to see if you like either-it will last much longer than silica sand.

As the rollered areas have a flattening agent, shiny is not required nor desired.
Is Interthane 990 as durable on the non-skid areas as Perfection or Awlgrip?

Is the Interthane 990 as shiny and "yachitie" as Perfection or Awlgrip?

Is Interthane 990 easier to touch up on the non-skid areas (sanding sand aside)?

Interthane 990 is an acrylic polyurethane. It will not be as shiny or durable as perfection. However, it will be much easier to touch up.

The only available alternative is to use Imron 700 (the paint stuff and not yachitie) on the topsides and shiny deck areas, then roller Interthane 990 on the non-skid areas

Imron is not bad. Both products are definitely for spray application by professionals, though.

Old 18-08-2016, 08:23   #5

Sounds like my best choice is Imron on the shiny bits and Interthane 990 on the deck non-skid areas

I wonder why Imron is not recommending it for use on the grit areas?
This would be preferable as I think that since it is harder it would wear better and I do not want to do this again

Imron is specifying a 50 micron top coat thickness (2 coats sprayed??) and advising against multiple coats on the deck non-skid areas
At the same time they state to know nothing about marine applications

How Pro the painter is remains to be seen but you can bet his tools are not as good as yours!

Thanks for all the help
Old 18-08-2016, 08:41   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Sounds like my best choice is Imron on the shiny bits and Interthane 990 on the deck non-skid areas

I wonder why Imron is not recommending it for use on the grit areas?
This would be preferable as I think that since it is harder it would wear better and I do not want to do this again

Imron is specifying a 50 micron top coat thickness (2 coats sprayed??) and advising against multiple coats on the deck non-skid areas
At the same time they state to know nothing about marine applications

How Pro the painter is remains to be seen but you can bet his tools are not as good as yours!

Thanks for all the help

Yes, they are concerned that the Imron will be applied too thick and will not properly cure. It's a decent hard wearing paint for your smooth areas. Hope that painter knocks it out of the park for ya!