My herrshoff was built at staysail yachts in New York
about 1981'with an airex type core
. From what I read very few builders were using these new methods due to the level of competence required by the tecnicians.
Everywhere that I have exposed the somewhat high density foam it's dry and well laminated to the 3 or 4 outer layers of glass.
I must assume there was a problem with the gelcoat
quality or process.
Also the accomplished English
sailor that took this boat many places on the globe was a poor mechanic
. He filled blistered careened on a beach and use microbaloon fairing compound and not proper epoxy potentially worsening the blister issues.
I have had the boat drying now for near 9 months and feel the boat may be ready to be put back together. Unfortunately the hull looks horrible because I choose to grind out all his red patches and I found small traces of moisture under about 30% of his patches.
I have scrubbed, hosed the boat probably a hundred times to try to advance the drying process.
She seems ready to go. And no I didn't use a moisture meter
Sent from my iPhone
using Cruisers Sailing Forum