Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 05:26   #1

Interlux Surfacing Putty

Hello All,
2 part question.

I am about to start the monumental task of filling the spider cracks and painting the deck on my 1981 Morgan 462. I understand all the basics, why did it crack, solve this problem first.....but most are just a condition of age. I would like to continue sailing for the summer and paint the deck in the fall. Therefore I will do a small section at a time and I don't want it to look worse with a dark colored fill. I have used the Total Boat Fairing product and did not like the product very much, plus it is a green color and looks much worse than the cracks until painted. I have never used the Interlux Surfacing Putty product, but like that it is one part, which means little to no waste.

Second part, I like Marinetex because it is white, but it advertises a long open period and I am concerned about the cracks on vertical surfaces and the product running out of the crack before cure?

I will be using the Total Boat paint and nonskid. I used this in my cockpit and I really liked it.

Thanks for your comments.
wesswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Interlux Surfacing Putty

Which product may be less important than the total process. Cleaning the cracks to be totally free of contamination is critical to the the longevity of the repair. If the damage is due to environment, i.e. UV and ice and snow as opposed to working loads, a very clean repair can be effective.
UV deterioration is insidious with respect to structural integrity in FRP structures. The point being not to paper over an integrity problem. Sometimes its better to fix things all at once than work in stages.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Interlux