Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 11:09   #1

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline
Interior wood options

I'm planning on taking out all the wood in my 73 Pearson. It's all crappy laminated plywood.
I want to get a look like in the posted picture.
What type of wood would you suggest? I want to home depot but couldnt find anything suitable- where should I look? Online?
Has anyone done a refurb like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456772951.991193.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	119827

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bronk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:19   #2

Re: Interior wood options

Make sure anything ply you use has exterior glue. It's a huge amount of work. You can dress up your main bulkheads etc. One option is using thin strips of real hardwood. Of course teak is nice, but walnut or other types are used now days. Don't use red oak... it water stains very bad.
The trouble is, unless you can re-use the existing trim, it's very difficult work to get looking professional. To redo the wood in the entire boat you are probably talking a year or two , many nights and weekends. Example of vertical strips:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b93618dafb206e8a668c7c23ff6c12a8.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	119829  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:41   #3

Interior joinery is not easy..... using the word Home Depot would suggest that this might be new to you. Take a look online or go to the library and look up some books on interior joinery for yachts. You have to be careful on what you remove, even if you are only after esthetics as some bulkheads even, ply, might be structural.

A fairly reasonble tropical hardwood choice right now is Sapele. You should be able to source lumber on the east coast. You can buy 3/4 full sheets, solid sapele, that are good for structural interior, or veneer that will have some other filler.

I'm about 8 years into a interior, not a pro by any stretch, careful what you bite off....
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 14:46   #4

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456785943.254189.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	119845
This isn't MY interior, but the same boat as mine. As you can tell, there isn't much wood. Mostly fiberglass.

Old 29-02-2016, 14:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Interior joinery is not easy..... using the word Home Depot would suggest that this might be new to you. .

I went to home depot looking for ideas is what I meant...

I went to two local lumber yards here and the best they had was marine grade plywood.

That's why I asked on here for suggestions where to buy =)

Old 29-02-2016, 14:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I just covered all the crappy plywood on "Dirt Free" with 3mm plastic panels
Cheap, easy, fast. Take a look at the resurrection photos.
Old 29-02-2016, 14:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I just covered all the crappy plywood on "Dirt Free" with 3mm plastic panels

Cheap, easy, fast. Take a look at the resurrection photos.

Awesome!! Looks great! Thanks for the ideas

Old 29-02-2016, 15:08   #8

If the existing trim is sound and intact but you don't want to mess with stripping and re-finishing, you can do alot with a paint color scheme. If you look around the web for some traditional wood boat interior it can give you some ideas. For drawer and locker faces, Oakum or Meranti ply looks nice varnished. With the 1mm plys it gives a decent finished bright edge as well so you can avoid trim work. Just doing drawer fronts, locker fronts, upper grab bars and doors bright with a santone or tan on the trim looks good.
Old 29-02-2016, 15:15   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The picture you posted is Brazillian cherry I think. You can buy it as veneer and veneer all the panels you have, then varnish it.
I believe you can get the veneer at woodcraft stores but would suggest to buy it online. Be sure you don't buy domestic cherry veneer... must be exotic.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 17:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The picture you posted is Brazillian cherry I think. You can buy it as veneer and veneer all the panels you have, then varnish it.
I believe you can get the veneer at woodcraft stores but would suggest to buy it online. Be sure you don't buy domestic cherry veneer... must be exotic.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

Old 01-03-2016, 10:14   #11

Applying veneer to an existing, in situ, cabinet
Old 01-03-2016, 10:35   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Interior joinery is not easy..... using the word Home Depot would suggest that this might be new to you. .................
Funny, that was my thought as well.

I would think that if you had the skills to pull this off, you would already know where to find the materials. You would probably already have made some nice furniture or built in cabinets for your home and you would have a good (and expensive) set of woodworking tools.

Try this source:

World Panel Products: Marine Plywood & Teak
Old 01-03-2016, 12:39   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Funny, that was my thought as well.

I would think that if you had the skills to pull this off, you would already know where to find the materials. You would probably already have made some nice furniture or built in cabinets for your home and you would have a good (and expensive) set of woodworking tools.

Try this source:

World Panel Products: Marine Plywood & Teak
+1

That said, there are a good bit of resources at www.Edensaw.com They're a hardwood dealer, who's Primary sub-specialty, is in supplying wood for boats.

But the hardest part for you will be to determine what wood(s) you want to use, as you can't discern from a picture, what a finished (varnished/coated) type of wood, will look like in a particular application on your boat.
Especially as, when you put a finish onto ANY wood, it gets a Lot darker in color.

As, for example, the suggested Sapele, is going to be really dark, if used in quantity, down below. Unless you have both good; natural, & artificial lighting. Along with a good bit of use of white surfaces in the appropriate areas, so as to lighten things up.
Check out some of the custom boats at www.schoonercreek.com & home They both have Excellent use of woods, in conjunction with other colors & outstanding lighting.

Perhaps your best resource for looking at wood colors & their effects on interiors, is to do a lot of looking at various boat interiors, online (though live is better). Specifically, anything which isn't a classic plastic, on say www.yachtworld.com

PS: Get some samples of things like: Luan, Okume, Sapele, & various hardwoods, & or hardwood paneling/veneers. And put a bright finish on them, to see what they really look like.
It'll make it a LOT easier to then make wise, informed choices, about what you'll be putting into your interior.
Also, as hinted at by a few other members. In a fair number of boats, it's easier to completely install a new interior, than it is to re-do an old one. Meaning that starting from scratch is often far, far, easier.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:50   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Whatever the OP does, weight should be considered. Some of the options suggested here are boat performance killers, particularly on a boat of this size.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-03-2016, 15:53   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Home Depot and it's direct competitors are for slap it together quick home products. To do a excellent job you need to search out a custom mill that buys the wood you want in bulk and custom cuts.
I get mahogany and some other wood here: Western Red Cedar Lumber : Bear Creek Lumber : Washington State Lumber Distributor.
But they are in Washington state. Maybe good for ideas or price options.
For trim and finish work you probably will need some wood shop equipment like a table saw, planer, router table, etc.
Also you probably will need some plywood in the wood of your choice. Large flat pieces tend to bow or split. Most quality cabinets use plywood made from your selected wood and trimmed in that wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maho_vertical.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	119892  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior