Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2016, 17:36   #16

Re: Interior wood options

[QUOTE

As, for example, the suggested Sapele, is going to be really dark, if used in quantity, down below. [/QUOTE]

Ok you asked for it....There are 4 different species in the pic below, all have the same varnish and finish, 3 are tropical harwoods one is PNW.

Which one is Sapele??

Old 01-03-2016, 18:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If there are no hardwood purveyors in your area, check with the custom cabinet makers. They will often sell you whatever wood that you might want. Those guys work with exotic woods in their trade and usually have extra material.

Unless you can't live with the layout of your boat, would not tear out the existing bulkheads, etc. Way faster and cheaper to veneer with hardwood or cover with thin T&G wood strips. Did much of the interior of our old boat with custom milled 3/8" mahogany. Covered up the ugly original finish and gave the look of a boat made out of real wood. Only had to deal with the trim after applying the veneer.

Later Pearsons were really tacky looking with their wood grain formica and modular drawers and doors. Painting the flat formica and replacing the doors and drawer faces would go a long way towards getting a custom look for the boat. Putting proper fiddles around the salon table would be an easy project and go a long way towards improving the interior appearance.

One caution, you don't have a Hinckley and everything you put into the boat probably won't improve it's value much. There are just too many P30s out there to buck the commodity pricing. Also every pound of additional weight you put in the boat will decrease it's sailing performance. It it was a heavy displacement cruiser probably wouldn't have much effect but would on the relatively light P30.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:32   #18

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline

Thanks for all the replies!
I've completely refurbished this boat and the wood is the last on my to do list.
As for the replies of not knowing what I'm doing...well I didn't know a whole lot of things before I started this boat project... But I know now =)

In my Pearson, there isn't a whole lot of wood. But I'm just going to give an uplift on what's in there... I'm not tearing out the entire interior and making it an 8 year project.
I reupholstered all the cushions to a darker brown leather (in pic) so I want the wood to complement it.

I'm thinking the veneer is going to be my best option as far as cost and difficulty go. The current panels are a piece of plywood with a routed groove for a plastic trim (pic)
What would you do for a trim option, seeing as all the panels are round?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456929087.991811.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	119909Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456929103.392888.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	119910

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-03-2016, 08:51   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Gee, that's pretty rough and wouldn't do for me either. The question is if you have a little budget and time to fix this? It is not very hard, but does have a little learning curve.

What you need to do is get rid of the plastic and replace it with solid wood which is the same as the veneer. I will explain how I do this and with which tools, so you can determine if you want this

First is check if it really fits well or would you like to adjust a bit. Assuming it is good, you need to make a template from cardboard or luan (cheap ultra-thin ply). Make sure the template fits well and that it is the size of the board WITH it's plastic edges in place.

Now you need to measure how much that plastic adds to the size of the board. I will assume 1/8" but you need to use actual size. Also, we need to choose the thickness of the solid wood edging we use. Let's go for 1/4" to make it easy for now. This means that, after removing the plastic, we need to cut the board 1/8" smaller on each side. This is very little and I would use a table saw for that which makes quick work of it: just set the fence at 1/8" and cut each side.

Now the corners are messed up. You must make the board exactly 1/4" smaller throughout that corner so use compasses to draw new rounded corners. I would cut that on a small bandsaw.

Now you can put the board on top of the template and verify it is smooth all around (sand) and exactly 1/4" smaller on every edge.

Now you veneer it. Google that and watch Youtube vids.

If you go for exotic cherry veneer then you need some matching, solid cherry boards for the edging. These need to be a bit thicker than the plywood board plus veneer, so that it sticks out on each side a bit after you glue it on. You cut it in 1/4" wide strips on the table saw for the sides and use the (smaller) panel and the (real size) template to draw and cut the round corner pieces on the bandsaw. Then dry-fit, adjust and sand until it fits perfectly, after which you can glue it together. There are good Youtube videos for this edging process as well.

Then you are left with making the edging flush with the plywood/veneer board. Many use flush trim bits in a router but there is an easier way to do this with the table saw. William Ng shows how in this video: http://youtu.be/AddH8IgL7wY

Check it with the template and adjust where needed.

Now you need to round over the edges so that they aren't sharp anymore. A roundover it in a palm router makes quick work of that. Some sanding to make it fit the template perfectly and it's ready for varnish.

For finishing I would start with Epifanes gloss varnish thinned with their brushing thinner two coats plus one coat unthinned, sanding just before that last coat. From there you can choose to keep it glossy or to sand and add a coat of semi gloss or even mat Epifanes.

After some practise, the woodwork part of the panel in your picture will take 4 hours time. When you start this, you will cut many strips of cherry so you can just grab some after cutting the corner pieces and everything will be much faster.

This is typically something that you attack a couple boards a weekend then sand and varnish every couple days etc.

So for tools you need a tablesaw which can be small/portable and cheap, a small bandsaw which is cheap as well and a palm router.

A $300 tablesaw: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-1...ords=Table+saw

A $150 bandsaw: http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-BS900...words=Band+saw

A $120 router: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611-...ds=Palm+router

And some router bits: http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-6077-Wood...ds=Palm+router

So that adds up to about $600 in tools if you have none of them.

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
Thanks for all the replies!
I've completely refurbished this boat and the wood is the last on my to do list.
As for the replies of not knowing what I'm doing...well I didn't know a whole lot of things before I started this boat project... But I know now =)

In my Pearson, there isn't a whole lot of wood. But I'm just going to give an uplift on what's in there... I'm not tearing out the entire interior and making it an 8 year project.
I reupholstered all the cushions to a darker brown leather (in pic) so I want the wood to complement it.

I'm thinking the veneer is going to be my best option as far as cost and difficulty go. The current panels are a piece of plywood with a routed groove for a plastic trim (pic)
What would you do for a trim option, seeing as all the panels are round?Attachment 119909Attachment 119910

There are various trim pieces. Teak 1/4 round etc available. For the pieces shown in your pics I would just buy some Teak Plywood. Yes, expensive but easy to work with and you don't have to glue a bunch of stuff together etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Gee, that's pretty rough and wouldn't do for me either. The question is if you have a little budget and time to fix this? It is not very hard, but does have a little learning curve.
You, sir, are why forums are amazing.
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I will be tackling this, hopefully this weekend.
With any luck- I'll be posting some before and after pics!!

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2016, 10:48   #22
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Thanks hope to see some pictures!
Old 03-03-2016, 15:35   #23

Fun stuff! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457044504.895081.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	119986Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457044523.862981.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	119987

Old 03-03-2016, 17:16   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
[QUOTE

As, for example, the suggested Sapele, is going to be really dark, if used in quantity, down below.

Ok you asked for it....There are 4 different species in the pic below, all have the same varnish and finish, 3 are tropical harwoods one is PNW.

Which one is Sapele??

[/QUOTE]

As to which is the Sapele. I'd guess the overhead. Although one has to consider that few people have;
- a Professional Quality Interior (aka, Hundreds of hours [at least] in it's creation, installation & finish)
- that Immense level of Natural Lighting... which I would not take offshore (or on Puget Sound on a blustery day)
- Professional Grade Camera Work, ditto on the Lighting/Flash
- Days with that much Natural Light are Exceedingly Rare in the PNW

Back to reality:
To the listed tools, at a minimum (assuming that you already have a decent toolbox), plan on adding a good percentage of the below to the list.
- several Block Planes
- a good set of Chisels, Scrapers, & Sharpening setup
- a Floor or Table Mounted, Disc/Belt sander (you can DIY these)
- a Milling Vise for the above
- Router Table (these are pretty easy to DIY too)
- Scribes, Compasses, T-squares, Adjustable Bevels, Framing Squares, etc.
- Shop-Vac, & possibly a Dust Collection System for your Fixed Tools
- Work Table/Drafting Bench, for laying out patterns & transferring templates onto parts. Again, build your own/use a B&D Workmate for some of it.
- a Wood Joinery Set, be it a; Biscut Joiner, Dowel Joiner, Kreg Pocket Hole Jig (Excellent Tool, BTW)
- Clamps of various types & sizes (many can be DIY setups, if you like)
- a small, Power, Detail Sander (or three)

Also, this is a good book on interior joinery, & boat furniture construction. And it'd digesting it, prior to starting your project. Plus of course, there are others.
http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Joinery-C...boat+cabinetry

Too, it' be worth getting/reading; several books on applying fine finishes to wood.
Russell Brown has penned some good stuff - http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/E-Books.html
But it's worth doing some digging; at the library, Amaxon, YouTube, & Online.

Also, it may help to just do some general looking around on Edensaw's site Edensaw Woods - Quality Marine Plywood & Lumber Supply Both for tool, & wood ideas, plus perhaps, to get your brain going on some things which you might like to try or incorporate.
LOVE that place, & miss it dearly!

That, & if you can find a specialty lumber shop/cabinetry shop in your area, it' be well worth the time, to go & look at some of what their doing now. And to dig through their past projects photo album.
The latter should give you a much better idea of how some of the things which you're thinking about trying out (both wood, & joiner work ideas) will look.

Also, YouTube's your friend; for everything from building your own tools, to showing you how to precisely machine your joints & such, correctly, the 1st time. Ditto on clamping tricks, applying finishes etc.

Speaking of finishes: You'll obviously be thinking though building any part a couple of times, prior to laying out it's drawings, & then building it.
And while you're thinking on it such, try & incorporate as much pre-finishing of your wood, prior to cutting & gluing it together, as you can.
Because it's a lot easier to varnish things, before they have nooks & crannies to them. Ditto on varnishing the nooks & crannies, being easier before they're glued onto things.

For big surfaces, like say a bulkhead. Whether you're thinking Tongue & Groove, or that you'd just like a different wood type. There's some pretty nice paneling available nowadays. Which looks good, & would be both lighter weight, & cheaper, than installing solid wood overtop of things.
That, & once you have it trimmed to fit, you can pre-finish it as well, prior to installing it. As it'll be a lot easier to do in a shop, & the ffinish quality will be a lot higher.

Also, besides YouTube, there are 1,001 DIY sites out there, which can be really helpful. For things like, say, vacuum bagging paneling onto a bulkhead, or how to get a pro quality finish; with paint, varnish, etc.

And... not to dissuade or dishearten you, but one of the Senior Editors of Cruising World redid the galley on their 40'er. And it took him 2,000hrs.
So, yeah, boat interiors can take a while. Ergo, choose the complexity of the construction of things with care.
Thus the pre-finishing parts tip. And the wisdom in using pre-made detail type parts.

PS: The Brazillian Cherry (Jatoba) mentioned earlier on is a Choice wood. I have a sweet walking stick made of some. However, unfinished, it's a good bit darker than Any varnished Mahogany that you'll ever see.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:30   #25

If you go the veneer route do some practice on scrap first.
I have done a fair bit of veneer work, it isn't as easy as people make it out to be to get a really good job. I'm talkin' quality that people pay for, not just good enough for me.
A bad veneer job WILL look worse than what you have now by far! Once you varnish every blemish, glue smear, crack etc will be very visable.
It's not actually hard to do but it takes some practice.
Remember you don't have much thickness to sand off, has to be very close to a perfect application.
The hardest thing I veneered was a high end DW drumkit with a birds eye maple veneer. Turned out fine but I would never agree to do another. Owner is happy.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:09   #26

Last time I had to change interior in my boat I was in Denmark, so I took my time to visit "Kronborg Bådudstyr", who gave me excelence service and took their time to feel my needs.
It all ended up with my getting the perfect product, and some other things to. Now 2 years later, my boat is still going strong and looking like a charm.

They also have a webshop now u can look at.
Bådudstyr på Nordsjælland | Kronborg Marine
Old 05-03-2016, 08:44   #27

Boat: sunk by irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
[QUOTE

As, for example, the suggested Sapele, is going to be really dark, if used in quantity, down below.

Which one is Sapele??

[/QUOTE]

The corner clamp that is notched for the deck beams is Sapele. The V-groove material in the overhead is WRC. The framing around the ports looks like Khaya and I think maybe I see some Honduran in there, in a single strip that runs along below the ports and maybe around the companionway as well?

Also, looks like some kind of ribbon stripe down low against the hull with the matte finish and the round port in it but I am not sure what specie.

Tags
interior

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: