Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2014, 07:36   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Interior, Teak Oil or Wax?

BTW - the method is to keep soaking the wood in teak oil until its stops getting absorbed. I had to add about 20 coats to get to that point. After that, the teak oil gets hard and glossy.

Old 06-08-2014, 20:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Well I was specifically asking about the tung oil. I use it to restore furniture all the time. In fact it's all I use for that purpose. When done similarly to described above for the teak oil soaking, it leaves a hard finish that just about never needs to be restored again.

Wanted to know if anyone tried it in a nautical application.

Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 21:08   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Well I was specifically asking about the tung oil. I use it to restore furniture all the time. In fact it's all I use for that purpose. When done similarly to described above for the teak oil soaking, it leaves a hard finish that just about never needs to be restored again.

Wanted to know if anyone tried it in a nautical application.
I too would like to hear an answer to this one as I use tung oil a lot at home and was considering it for the interior of our Cape Dory 33. Our boat has a LOT of teak. I generally varnish the interiors of our boats, but the idea of brushing all that teak just sends me into panic mode. Oil wouldn't be hard or glossy enough for me.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 21:14   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We've always used varnish; two coats of gloss with a coat of satin over it; after 15 years the interior looks like show room and moisture wipes off... a LOT of work but only had to do it once. The Satin over the Gloss gives the teak veneer a wonderful sheen...
We used Regatta Plus5 but since they are out of business we've used a range of good spar varnish. Interested in trying Tonkin Oil Varnish (Tonkinois) some day.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 22:09   #20

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I used Watco oil on a cherry fireplace surround in my home. Many coats with vigorous rubbing in between created a beautiful, hard surface. Still looked good when we sold the house 13 years later with an additional coat rubbed on then rubbed off every couple of years. I tried the same thing on the teak inside my trawler. In the tropics we had issues with mold. I don't have no love of varnish but that seems to be the least of the evils...
Old 06-08-2014, 22:32   #21

Boat: 1968 Alberg 30

I've had great success using Tung Oil on my teak plywood bulkheads and solid teak trim. 9 years ago when we bought the boat the bulkheads were black with mildew and soot from an old wood stove. After 6 or so passes with scrubbing with green abrasive sponge soaked in various combinations of thinner, acetone, Murphy's soap and water - water works great BTW- and very light sanding with 150 and 220 grit sandpaper, I got rid of all the black junk and could see a nice layer of teak veneer. Then put on 6 or 7 coats of tung oil - rubbing it down after dry each time, and got a very nice high sheen surface. Not glossy shinny like varnish, but a very nice hand rubbed furniture grade wood finish. Which has more or less lasted 9 years now. Also recently have starting experimenting with Deks oil high gloss finish, and various brands of teak oil. All have maintained a nice matted to glossy finish, depending on how much effort I put in each year. (Usually one or two,passes) For annual maintenance, usually I wipe down all the wood with thinner and white towel then add a new coat.

Ideally you would need 6 or 7 coats of Tung Oil, or other penetrating oil such as teak oil, with a light sanding after maybe 5 coats to produce a very nice furniture grade finish - I think perhaps it will last longer than varnish- certainly with less stripping and refinishing than varnish, which is why i opted not to varnish the interior in the beginning.

Like someone else said - BE REAL Careful with sanding. Modern teak plywood is very skimpy on the veneer- now usually nothing more than a surface layer for looks, certainly nothing like the 1/16 th inch mahogy or teak veneers that used to be available in plywood in the 60's and 70's. So any hard sanding with even 100 grit sandpaper runs the risk of taking off the "teak" and leaving the underlayment exposed.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46   #22

I agree with jwing in #9 on page one. That's what we've been doing with out boats since 1983.

But, it all depends on what YOU like to look at. I detest (really) shiny varnish down below, others love it.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:42   #23

Boat: Morgan 462

Lemon oil is excellent to prevent mold.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-11-2014, 00:04   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra57 View Post
Lemon oil is excellent to prevent mold.
Good that it worked for you. Lemon oil may be different now than when I used it on our teak (before sanding it all off), but it did, in fact, in the tropics, grow green mold on it, and the mold spores seemed to get their "feet" into the oil, so that I couldn't reasonably keep up with the growth. I must be mold phobic, or something, to have found the resolve to deal with it as I did.

I'm a great believer in below decks varnish. The method described above, where the poster used matte finish over the shiny, certainly works well. As it happens, I liked the bulkheads matte, but the bits you grab, I like them shiny. Each to his/her own, I guess.

I just want to say, I would never do oil, except land based and in a moderately dry humidity. I would only use varnish, if your shoes grow mold in the closet.

Ann

Tags
interior, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: