Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Interior refit

I may be getting a Albin 27 that will need complete interior refit except for electrical and was wondering what the best materials for this would be, and where I could get the materials for the lowest cost, any help is greatly appreciated as I haven't done a complete refit by myself.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07   #2

Are you talking about ripping the entire interior out?

What is the matter with the interior?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27   #3

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
The current owner has gutted it beause the stuff was worn and origional 1971 stuff so I can understand it and the wood will also need revarnishing to and I was wondering about what varnish people use.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:35   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I did a fairly serious renovation to a 26-foot Telstar Trimaran. It all started by converting the V-birth to the head and storage area. I built a new galley where the old head was and lengthened one of the settees and added a small nav station where the old galley was. I mostly rewired and replumbed as well. The total price tag wasn't all that bad.

One thing I found very helpful was to use a grinder with a thin blade instead of a saw to cut out old fiberglasss. New bulkheads and flooring made with plywood, mat and epoxy turned out well. The new galley counter was made simply with plywood, laminate and contact cement as was the chart table and salon table. I used oak trim stained and varnished on both.

The end result may not have been quite professional, but it was functional, looked okay and cost a fraction of what hiring professionals would have cost. I also really appreciated knowing exactly how everything was put together.

The mat I got online. The epoxy resin directly from the West System folks Gougan Borthers (sp?)(though I've heard they don't do that anymore.) Paint, hose and a small holding tank from a marine store and a composting head directly from the manufacturer. Most other supplies I purchased at a lumber yard.

I was very pleased with the final results and would do it again.

I'm sure there are more qualified people who will have further input.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 00:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
"A" bond pine ply, structural pine, pine battens, epoxy/polyurethane finish ...

I have been using pine plywood with an "A" grade bond for the complete interior fitout of Boracay. Finished with thinned generic epoxy and one pot exterior polyurethane it's not too bad, but unlikely to win a concurs d'elegance.

There are some photos in my blog.

I have used structural pine 35x70 and 45x90 for the supports and 21x42 pine battens as necessary.

I did use some 36x32 redgum for trim, but I will probably just paint the edges of the plywood with brown polyurethane.

Given the price of marine grade wood from local timber yards I feel that my materials that I sourced from my friendly mega hardware store have made the project feasible.

The other advantage is that all panels match!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, refit