Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2008, 20:47   #1

interior refit

Hello all
We are re doing our '94 42 foot cat's interior. Presently are planning to do the two aft cabins. I already removed the old panels which were covered with foam backed vinyl-all stinky and rotted. I have the plywood boards, but I really do not want to re vinyl them. Rather, I would prefer to use another, totally impervious material. I went to a plastic fabricator and they thought they could cut out panels with FRP panels, but then told me they didn't think it would fit back in correctly.

The old panels were either screwed in held in place with velcro.

I do not want to use wood or any thing that would rot if it became wet.

Has anyone used something for this purpose?

Thanks for your help
Carol D
Carol Delfaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 21:33   #2

I would recommend corrugated plastic if you want something impervious to water damage. For that you can look at Coroplast - The Leading Manufacturer of Corrugated Plastic. You'll find it cheaper somewhere else, but that's a site to get your mind going.

Also I suggest laminating the plastic with closed cell foam (of your desired thickness) also called landau foam. It won't hold moisture and rot like regular foam will. Only drawback is its not as cushy. For side panels I however count that as a good thing.

Then choose your favorite color vinyl and wrap away! Be sure to use the appropriate glue. Be sure its suitable for both the foam and for the vinyl over top. If its something that sprays on chunky then you'll see the chunks through the foam.
Mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 23:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Keeping the old panels...

Cutting new panels exactly to size is going to be a long, difficult, awkward job.

May I suggest cleaning up the old panels. Scrape, sand and clean (using whatever paint remover works) off any old adhesive and prime them with epoxy thinned around 20% with epoxy thinner. Repeat priming if it really soaks in. Fill any voids and repair any cracks with epoxy filler.

Now you will have correctly fitted, very water resistant panels that you can paint or cover to your hearts content.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 07:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Cutting new panels exactly to size is going to be a long, difficult, awkward job.

May I suggest cleaning up the old panels. Scrape, sand and clean (using whatever paint remover works) off any old adhesive and prime them with epoxy thinned around 20% with epoxy thinner. Repeat priming if it really soaks in. Fill any voids and repair any cracks with epoxy filler.

Now you will have correctly fitted, very water resistant panels that you can paint or cover to your hearts content.

Corrugated plastic is very easy to machine. If he has the old panels (which it sounds like he does) then he merely has to lay them over the sheet, mark the outline with a pencil and cut the new panels out. From there he can use tablesaws, jigsaws, routers and even exacto knives to cut the shapes out.
Old 22-09-2008, 08:43   #5

Thanks

I am looking at the corrugated plastic idea. the old wood is just too rotted to use. Has anyone found something that is nice enough to not cover it with vinyl?
Old 22-09-2008, 08:49   #6

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
That Corrugated plastic looks very nice and it just maybe the thing i have been looking for.

John
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 09:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Would PVC Sheet goods do the job?
Not exactly cheap, at $85.20 for a 4'x8' at 1/8" thick.
PVC SHEET

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 10:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Would PVC Sheet goods do the job?
Not exactly cheap, at $85.20 for a 4'x8' at 1/8" thick.
PVC SHEET
The interior panels of full size cargo vans come as PVC sheet. Usually 1/8" thick. They do that because it's cheap and easily wrappable for rv manufacturers and other businesses that turn empty cargo vans into something else. My opinion would be to use that or corrugated plastic, whatever is cheaper and easier, as they will both perform the same.
Old 22-09-2008, 11:03   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I have used both PVC (foam) sheeting and embossed FRP panels and have found the latter to be vastly superior in terms of flexibility and appearance as well as scratch and UV resistance. With respect to framing the windows, you may need to use multiple pieces and/or epoxy in some wooden strips/wedges, but I have found that virtually all surfaces can be covered with the frp. You can tape off the seams about 1/4" back and use white bathroom silicone to fill the gaps - it is virtually an identical colour match to the FRP.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 15:40   #10

interior refit

Brad

When you used FRP for wall panels, did you use any insulation between the panel and the fiberglass hull? If so, what did you use?

Thanks Carol
Old 23-09-2008, 06:05   #11
CF Adviser

Carol, I didn't use any insulation (my hull has foam core above the waterline). I made templates and then installed with FRP panel adhesive (available where you get the panels). I did not remove the fixed portlights, but rather cut out leaving about 1/4" around the window and then used GE white bathroom silicone to fill the gap (as mentioned, tape off both sides to get a nice, clean finish). If necessary, in areas with a significant bend, you can also use small screws temporarily until the adhesive hardens, then remove the screws and fill the holes with a dab of silicone.

Brad
Old 23-09-2008, 08:52   #12

Thanks so much for all the advice. I guess Iwill have my fall/winter project ready to go soon
Old 23-09-2008, 10:01   #13
CF Adviser

Carol, I'll try to remember to get some photos in the next couple of weeks which may help to explain. Trust me, it is not as difficult as it sounds - and the FRP panels themselves are very easy to work with. Just cut with an ordinary sabre/jig saw and and then sand the edges with 60-80 sandpaper. It works so easily you can get a perfectly straight edge simply by sanding along the edge of a scrap piece of wood.

Brad

Tags
interior, refit