Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 09:55   #16

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Interior Paint Peeling like a Banana!

The local backpackers is usually a great source for slave labour candidates .Traveling through ,the bait can be money. a place to crash, sailing adventure etc. Ive been on both sides of this for most of my life .You might be surprised at the talent out there.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:29   #17

Boat: Alberg 30 Ft

I owned a 1964 Bahamas Islander 24. You are definitely looking at fiberglass.

Your first lesson is slow down and examines the problem. In your mind you want to peel back the onion. The picture of the overhead above the birth is your friend.

This is probably the 2nd latex paint job and both took shortcuts in preparation. The uneven surface shows an area that should have been filled in or feathered.

If you want this to be the last time the interior needs paint, take your pictures to a well stocked marine paint store. Also take samples of peeling paint.

Think in terms of preparation and application. Scrapping, sanding, and roughing up any remaining latex. Proper humidity.

Applying epoxy filler where needed. Apply primer. Apply epoxy paint.

Quote for cost of materials.

Eyes on by an experienced fiberglass marine repair pro and get a quote with you furnishing materials. Eyes on some of his work. Pay him or do it yourself?

Last is timing. Is your boat in the water or on the hard?

Good luck. You own a great sailboat.
NYCLB1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:37   #18

Had the same problem with the V birth area of my Cal 30.
Removed the old paint with a heat gun and putty knife. Took some time but was not hard.
Dan R
lunasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:41   #19

have dealt with this many times. That is the original factory oil based paint and the problem is that the factory painted over the last layer of laminating resin, which has wax in it so as to harden. It was not degreased properly, if at all and any paint left on will continue to peel. Easiest way to deal with it is in this order; Vacuum off loose stuff.
pressure washer, next heat gun, last stripper on the few remaining spots. Degrease well
and paint, Use a 2 part paint so it will last.
mike
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:48   #20

Boat: Farr 1020

My first boat had a similar problem with the topsides. Paint peeling in sheets and yes, with care you could enjoy peeling large sheets.
PO had painted her in the late afternoon/evenings in his garage. Nightie humidity (dew) settled and so the paint skinned rather than adhere to the substrate.
Most peeled, but then it took a lot of sanding to the clinker hull. Good job I was young.
Lesson is to watch the conditions during curing time, as well as waiting time. When doing such work in winter, evenings get very high humidity and you need to keep it dry
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 03:21   #21

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

the "citrus" stripper I have gotten at Home Depot has low fumes and does not seem to attack fiberglass. It takes 1/2 hour at least to soften the paint and I use a carbide blade paint scraper which does not need sharpening very often. Works like a charm. I did cabin top couple of years ago and cabin sole last month. The scrapings are more volume than I would have expected but bagged them up and presto clean surface which I wash with mild ammonia solution. Painted the cabin top with 545 primer and seems to be holding on just fine.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 20:37   #22

Have a '77 Islander with only paint under bunk cushions. Wondering of ventilation, amd some dehumidification would help to prevent recurrence.

Would also like to hear how folks are getting previous owner's sloppy varnish job off of non-skid gel coat deck. 3M Safe Stripper doesn't seem to cut it.....
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 21:00   #23

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Have a '77 Islander with only paint under bunk cushions. Wondering of ventilation, amd some dehumidification would help to prevent recurrence.

Would also like to hear how folks are getting previous owner's sloppy varnish job off of non-skid gel coat deck. 3M Safe Stripper doesn't seem to cut it.....
White spirit and scrubbing brush has finally started to work after much effort. I found an overgrown power toothbrush type of thing (Sonic Scrubber from Aldi) that is having an effect but I think mine was oil not varnish.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 03:57   #24

Boat: Mashford Claris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Blasting inside will be a real mess. You may never get the sand out entirely. That's a tough one. any pics? Where is the paint? everywhere? There are dry ice blasters, but they are not prolific. That would be a great answer... maybe.. although blasting wood is fraught with dangers of wood damage.
sorry about that was trying to read forum on phone with cracked screen
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 15:36   #25

Nikolina, what was the outcome of your painting? I have a 1963 Columbia 29 that looks exactly the same, your pics could have been my boat. How did you do it and how did it turn out.
Thanks
Carl
What Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 16:24   #26

Boat: Islander 32

What Anchor
Sorry haven't had the guts to tackle this problem yet! I'm not looking forward to applying paint stripper over head! I can picture how well that will work. Or using a heat gun, slow tedious and again overhead, although I might try a small area just to see. Pressure washer, that would be just like a sand blaster but with water! I think the bigger issue is not just the problem areas, but the whole interior. I need to take the whole interior down to bare fiberglass then repaint. So I want something that has less application, less scrapping and sanding and more removal! I'm really leaning on sand blasting using a soft type media walnut shells, plastic beads? Probably won't happen till spring. But let me know if you do something before then, that will make my learning curve less curvy!
Old 16-10-2016, 14:22   #27

First I took a scraper and hit the big junks and then ran a vacuum. Next pressure washing, what a mess. I had paint chips everywhere, luckily I have a dry suit. I followed this with lots of 80 grit and a DA sander. The PO had put on a gray coat and most of it came off with the pressure washer. I may skip the heat gun and stripper. If the remaining stuff has not come off in 53 years it is good enough for me. After it is painted you will be able to see the fabric lines through the paint, but my cabin is not very big and the ceiling is even smaller. Another day or two of sanding and it should be ready for paint.
Old 16-10-2016, 15:25   #28

Here is a pic of before and after. I will continue to sand for another day or so. Any ideas for paint, I am thinking a single part poly satin in off white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Restoration 10-16 008.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	132995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restoration 10-16 009.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	132996  

Tags