Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 17:55   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Interior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Sherwin Williams Tile Clad HS Epoxy is an awesome bilge paint! Rock hard, easy to clean, doesn't stain, insanely adhesive to any surface and pretty affordable.

Matt
Hay Matt, thanks for the hint above, a good alternative to the pricey marine epoxies. BTW, you have pretty much all surfaces well done in white with wood trim, very nice - which paint did you use? Just curious, as it does not seem to be yellowing.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 18:12   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Hay Matt, thanks for the hint above, a good alternative to the pricey marine epoxies. BTW, you have pretty much all surfaces well done in white with wood trim, very nice - which paint did you use? Just curious, as it does not seem to be yellowing.

Valspar satin alkyd enamel from Lowes. But I've finally convinced my wife to switch to gloss, so we're redoing it with an Akzo Nobel alkyd enamel (already done in the pilothouse).

I needed something to do on these cold and dark winter days

Matt
Old 10-12-2019, 18:17   #18

A lot of good comments here.
I think I am leaning toward keeping it oil based mostly but trying an area as a test spot for a good quality latex. Because comments seem to indicate latex is more difficult and results do not seem to be as good.
And I have some latex paint I would like to try.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 20:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There may be a sandable latex paint but I’ve not seen it. You will need to sand the paint to take care of chips, dings and other abuses. No fun when you have to strip it off entirely to get a decent finish.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 20:31   #20

Boat: Tartan 28

What would be wrong with using white bilge paint ?
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:08   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Look into 100% acrylic paints. The distinction between latex and acrylic paint is pretty blurred but there are quality acrylic resin paints. You also will need to choose your "shade" very carefully by taking dozens of color samples inside your boat and carefully narrowing down what looks right. You won't find much of a color choice with oil based products. No matter what you choose, your surface prep and application method are going to have a huge effect on the outcome.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poche View Post
I have talked to local paint stores on what interior paint to use on my interior cabin sides. They seem to agree that a good quality latex is good and that the important factor is gloss or semi-gloss is best for a humid environment. Which they recommend for bathroom walls and kitchen areas with higher exposure to steam, etc.
Does anyone have experience that disputes this and would say to stick with oil base paints? Does anyone use interior latex with good results?
The issues are clean up and expense. Obviously, I don't need much UV protection for the interior.
Is a salt water environment a factor?
Yes. Water base

I particularly like the Epifanes water based semigloss interior varnish

Be aware that you can also purchase 2 component polyurethane latex paint

This company System Three. has a good reputation

https://www.systemthree.com/products/wr-lpu-polyurethane-topcoat?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh8718bSu5gIVBZSzCh19KgVb EAAYASAAEgIQXPD_BwE
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01   #23

For those who are not going to sand, I suppose water soluble would be the way to go. Those who shoot for perfection, knowing we will never achieve it, plan on many coats of primer to fill the grain and then one or two top coats of paint. All but the final coat require sanding unless ‘hot-coating. Two-part primers and paints sand so much better than latexes, oils, or just about anything after just 8 hours or so that it is just not practical to consider anything else but two-part paint if you’re aiming for a smooth surface. After putting the effort in for a true yacht finish, you don’t want to do it again; that is another reason to use two-part paint. However, if one coat is good enough and you will never have to paint it again—yah, one-part is the way to go.
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:09   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Never had a problem sanding one part paints.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, paint