Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2005, 06:06   #1

Interior Boat Cushions

We are beginning a project to recover all the cushions in our boat. We chose a sunbrella fabric but would like any suggestions as to the type of foam to get. The cushions are in the cabin, dining area and forward V berth. Sunbrella has a foam that allows water to just flow through...any advice would certainly be appreciated....
cdichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 07:04   #2

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
One needs a high density foam, or you will shortly be sitting and lying in sort of hollow bits. Get the best foam you can afford. I am assuming these are for inside the boat.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 07:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
density & compression

Like Witchcraft said ...

Foam is sold by density (determines the quality) and compression (from soft to hard) stated in pounds per cubic foot. I recommend a 2.1 - 2.25 pound density with a 34 - 35 pound compression mildew-resistant foam for bunks/berths & inside seat foams. The cheapest foam is only 1.5-pound density.

For sleeping, you want a minimum foam thickness of 4" (10cm), and more if you have the berth height. Where headroom is limited, use a better quality 3" (7.6cm) foam with higher compression." Settee Backrests normally have the same foam as the bunks or seats; but a super-soft foam could be an option (as long as it doesn't comprise part of a pull-out convertable bunk).

For seating you should get the thickest foam that doesn;t put your bum up too high (feet comfortably on floor) - best test & measure, rather than assume.

Zippers with metal sliders corrode in a marine environment - choose either zippers with plastic sliders (standard) or optional Velcro closures.

HTH
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 09:04   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Multi layer foam

Also consider using multiple layers of different density foam. Softer on top and firm on the bottom. This helps to increase the comfort without being so soft that it crushes into the seat base or so hard that it is uncomfortable.

Talk with an upolstery shop and as Gord said earlier, experiment and test.

Ours are made this way and the feel more like a couch than a bench seat!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 14:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cpt. Bill brings up a good point (layered densities).
I wonder if anyone has any experience using "viscoelastic" foam ('memory' foam) under a medium density topping?
I've often speculated that this could make an ideal (tho' costly) mattress/cushion.
Gord

Old 01-02-2005, 06:58   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Those layered densities sound interesting. Wechecked with a person who does such work regarding our choice of foam. Never thought of the layered densities. Next time perhaps. Although we are NOT expecting to do this again anytime soon.
Good luck !
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 11:24   #7
DCC

Suppliers

Anyone have experience with a good supplier of foam? I've never been satisfied with the options at the local craft type stores.
DCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 12:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have seen a foam that has holes vertically right through the foam. These holes are moulded not just bubbles from the forming of the foam. This would allow air to flow through the foam and help it breath. Although this may have been just a NZ foam manufacturers idea.
On our squabs in the Pilot house, where on occasions the squabs can get wet, we have a fine netting/mesh material on the bottom of the squab to allow it to breath. Another one I have seen is a material that is about an inch thick and is wildly openly woven or more likely wildly thrown together. This is an underlay that can be placed under matrices etc, to allow air to get right under to enable breathing. You could have this sown in under the covering material to allow more air to circulate. I would suggest using any of the above materials to aid breathing and drying of your squabs. Even if they don't get wet, they still can get damp and need plenty of air circulation to stop nasty smells and mould from developing.
As for the initial fill material, I would look at alternatives to faom even. Synthetic fills such as Hollowfill fibre or similar, that won't absorb water and hold it. Thats the major drawback of foams.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 19:13   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
We have a memory foam pad on top of our foam mattress. It is wonderful!!! We had used it on our bed at home, loved it so much we brought it down to the boat. We just put it on top of the mattress then put the sheets over it. Works great. It really makes a difference in the comfort. It is EXPENSIVE though.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 23:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now you would think they would call that stuff, Forgetful foam pads eh. I bet there are a few in this world, that the poor ole foam pad would rather forget it tried supporting the night before.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:06   #11

Boat: Currently Boatless
Getting back to memory foam - has anybody ever tried it for cushions? Just saw 3" 4 lb queen size foam at Costco for $120 which works out at $4/ft2 which I think is reasonable. Just not sure how well it would work?
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 07:19   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to FreeSail
I just had all my cushions re done with new covers and foam. We went from a 3 inch bottom cushion to a 5 inch memory foam cushion. It feels like your sitting on a hard surface at first but that "feeling" changes fast. I did enjoy my nap one day as my son polished my hull, so I like the memory foam.
Old 18-01-2008, 08:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of the general disadvantages of visco-elastic memory foam, is that it tends to cup your body (countour), making it hard to roll over. This turns out to be advantageous, on a boat.
Unfortunately, theses mattresses absorb, and then fail to disperse, a person's body heat, resulting in a sleeping surface that is unnaturally warm for the tropics.

Old 18-01-2008, 09:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Kevin E - You'll find that the mattress you may be referring to is part memory foam and part cushy top material. If NOT, that is a very good deal, and I wanna know WHERE (Which Costco/internet) I can get it. I've been informed (SCOTT!!!) that my forward V-berth needs a new cushion.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 16:55   #15

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I have used memory foam over high density foam with good results. To get around the heat issue I added a 1" mattress topper over the memory foam. Keeps cool and that much more plush.

Another trick is to use closed cell foam pads under the settee cushions. They are very cheap and really soften the hard spots.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions