Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 17:16   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I have used memory foam over high density foam with good results. To get around the heat issue I added a 1" mattress topper over the memory foam. Keeps cool and that much more plush.

Mike
Ditto!.....
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 18:28   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Ditto!.....
Re did the whole boat that way. Super comfy. A lttle extra memory foam on the berth.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 21:20   #18

Boat: Catalina 30
We got a 1" piece of memory foam we spread across the cushions (under a sheet) for the V-berth, or main salon, from Overstock.com: Online Shopping Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more ..love it! If you use it as an overlay and want to store it, keep a small, but durable sail bag handy and you can roll that memory foam into an amazingly small size for storage.

I've been thinking about making a "bed roll" that would have a piece of 1" memory foam sewn into a pair of sheets "envelope" and a top sheet sewn across the bottom.

The memory foam can be hard to handle because it "sticks" to everything and I was picturing an "assembled" (sewn together) bed roll would be easy to roll out at night, or roll up and stow in the morning..
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 16:06   #19

Interior Boat Upholstery

We have just bought a rather tired Nova 27 with interior cushions that have seen better days. I read with interest about the foam in the interior but can any one assist me with what material I can cover them with? Do they need a plastic/water resistant cover and then you can put a prettier material over the top? I found some fun deckchair canvas and wondered if I could use that? If anyone knows of somewhere in the UK that provides material for cushion covers I would be grateful to know about it - I have stripes in mind!
VirginiaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 17:11   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
This topic has been covered here as well;
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ial-38812.html

the thread is well worth a careful read!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 11:03   #21

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
choose either zippers with plastic sliders (standard) or optional Velcro closures...
We reupholstered a couple of years back and were talked into Velcro – so far it is excellent. Seems easier to use and despite my original misgivings has not seemed to degrade in effectiveness, so even though our experience is (so far) limited, it’ll get my vote.

By the way, scour eBay for marine upholstery fabric… one may not find what they want, but there are usually lots of remnants available from boat builders of one flavor or another and usually at quite reasonable prices. Although ours is tiny (so factor that in) compared to larger boats, we got enough material for two times over for our five berths (they’re there, but no one is going to crowd that many aboard a B24) for under $100 including the Velcro… but we reused the old foam. The sewing was $250 or so as I recall – we found a lady who reupholsters house furniture and she did an excellent job…
Old 18-06-2010, 16:50   #22
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great advice here - an old thread, I know - and i've nothing to say, I'm only posting so I don't 'lose' this thread again!!!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 04:39   #23

Re: Interior Boat Cushions

Friends who have the same boat as ours, recently (2 years ago & again this season for a friend's boat) went to "Foam Factory" - evidently they cut foam to exact size. All they had to do was slip in foam and zip. This is in Michigan, not sure of your location, but I would believe there are similar businesses in every state. What I was told is they were the cheapest (cost) and the best quality, they have been very pleased. Hope this helps, good luck!
SerendipityCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 04:55   #24

May I suggest Sailmaker's Supply as a source for things with which to fabricate marine canvas objects, as well as advice on how to do so

Sunbrella, Marine Canvas, Fabrics, Hardware and Supplies - Sailmaker's Supply
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 05:56   #25

We had our cockpit cushions remade recently and used Foam N' More And Upholstery, Michigan USA for the foam. They have a great selection.

Will do the interior cushions soon and plan to use them again. I will use a 3" closed cell firm layer for the bottom and a 1-2" softer foam on top. The closed cell foam is a little hard but holds up much better.

I want to get our memory foam from home for the berth as I think it will help. I used 4" closed cell foam topped by 4" soft foam for the berth but think I will add the memory foam. Hey, comfort is king!!
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:15   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ive tried memory foam on a bed and I actually hated it, I hate the "disappear" into effect as for cushions, I can't see the value in the expense of sunbrella unless outside. We used good quality fabric and had it ScotchCoated.

DAve

Tags
cushions