Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 20:24   #1

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'
Insulating Paint Additives, Whos used It

Simple Question,

Who has used insulating paint aditives on their boat (ceramic vacuum spheres) or any other type, did it work for you or not.

I'm getting close to putting the last coats on and would like to here from others who have used this sort of additive in their paint jobs, and also interested to know what difference that they noticed.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew
Old 11-10-2012, 21:24   #2

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Insulating Paint Additives, Whos used It

I used an additive, Warm Touch, I think its called. Spheres developed by NASA if you believe the label.
Put on a couple of coats on the saloon of my Centaur at the end of last season and noticed a distinct improvement in the amount of condensation and mold growth over the winter.
I keep the boat in the water in the winter so consensation from the warmer sea water temp differential is a problem.
Had a pal sleeping up front during the summer and he complained about the condensation were as I slept in the saloon with no none noticeable.

Centaur
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 00:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I used an additive, Warm Touch, I think its called. Spheres developed by NASA if you believe the label.
Put on a couple of coats on the saloon of my Centaur at the end of last season and noticed a distinct improvement in the amount of condensation and mold growth over the winter.
I keep the boat in the water in the winter so consensation from the warmer sea water temp differential is a problem.
Had a pal sleeping up front during the summer and he complained about the condensation were as I slept in the saloon with no none noticeable.

Centaur
Hey Centaur,

Thanks for the response.

im assuming that you painted the outside of your boat?

Any reason why you only painted the saloon area instead of the whole boat?

Thanks in advance

Matthew
Old 12-10-2012, 20:15   #4

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Painted the inside only, old foam removed a couple of years ago.
Only painted the saloon to check if the additive made any noticeable difference. I,m convinced it did.
Am contemplating a thicker paint coating, something like ceiling patch paint or stipple with the half bottle of additive left to check for further improvement.I generally use the forward cabin for storage mostly so can afford to continue the experiment.
Not sure this would work as an outside additive as I assume the barrier needs to be between the warmer and drier inside and the exposed cabin top.
Centaur
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 14:49   #5

Hey Centaur,

I'm glad that you noticed a difference in temperature, that's promising.

I'm only going to paint the outside of the hull (all of it mind you, eve3n under the water), but the people i spoke to said it can be used on both inside and outside to get maximum effect

With regards to thickness from what i have read you only need it in two coats and going thicker doesn't benefit that much.

Thanks for you reply anyway, it doesn't seem that many people on here have used this stuff

Regards,

Matthew

Tags
paint