Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 15:51   #1

installing port lights in the hull of an old boat?

I was considering installing additional port lights in the hull (about 6 inches below where it meets the deck) on an 89 hunter 37. Right now there is only one in the rear cabin. I want to make that one a touch bigger and put one on the other side to match. Also, I plan to install them in salon and v-birth. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if I should be aware of anything. . . I would only be cutting through the hull where you would see the port lights on a newer boat. . . is this ok as long as I don't cut any type of the structure away? Also, does anybody reccomend a certain type/brand of port. . . opening, fixed? they are more expensive than I had anticipated. . . Do I need to pay special attention to the strength of the port in case of a capsize. . . any help is greatly appreciated. Dustin
dustinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 15:53   #2

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Why would you want to cut holes in your hull? Isn't it better just to mount them on the pulpit?
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 16:38   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dustin,

I'm certain there are bluewater fiberglass hulls with portlights in the hull but I certainly wouldn't do it. Too much chance of encountering heavy weather and letting some water in. Sailing on your ear will also cause the portlight to be submerged and create drag. It just doesn't seem to justify the expense for more light. I'd add some LED lighting instead. Definitely not an opening portlight.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 16:44   #4

sorry I thought you meant nav lights. Didn't realise you meant portholes.
What about a larger hatch in the deck. Those weaver hatches are good.
Old 07-12-2007, 21:08   #5

i have port lights and holes on my cabin side of my 30 footer. Due to the fact that it likes to really heel, they go under to about half way when I am over 35 deg. No matter what I have done they leak !! I would avoid putting them in the hull if you can. Oddly the fixed port lights leak more then the opening, very old brass port holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	idler 060.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2175

Name:	idler 066.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2176

...and yes that little 30 footer is a 40 year old ferro boat weighing in at 3.5 ton all up....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 23:32   #6

Hey Coops, is this the boat you are sitting in when you log on to the forum? How do you get coverage for the aircard all over AUS?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:35   #7

Hi Foxy...I wish..."Idler" dosnt travel very far and now she is a relaxation vessel. (This means no FREDs on board) I mostly log on from work ( even at half past rediculous o'clock) Idler is used only in the Gippsland lakes now due to her love of leaning, which is why big boat is nearly finished. My work does take me to other places (I work with people with disabilities). I can offer help on a few subjects, but unfortuntly (my spellings gone to s. because i am very tired) computer access is changing so fast that i have chosen to not "look" until I am ready. (My work place is where i am building my new boat, AND, i work for my brother, and he is a cool guy,!!) ; )..

Name:	BoatPaintedWhite.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2178
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:20   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Mounting portlights in this fashion may not be that good of an idea, however, there are flush mounted ports that would'nt add any drag and are designed for bluewater conditions. If you need more information, send me a private message or email me.