Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 18:58   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Installing plexiglass in Goiot hatches

3 years ago in Scotland we replaced he glass in our Goiot hatches. Quite easy using the goo Goiot supplied for 3 hatches and Sikaflex for one. No problems in a lot of sailing, including trans-Atlantic
We got back on board in Panama today after summer layup, and find hatches leaking because the glass is slightly buckled upwards.
For the first time we put aluminum foil inside to block the sun from attacking interior varnish. I guess this made the hatches hotter in the sun

Any solutions?
We can rebed the glass in Sikaflex.
Is there a better goo for the job than Sikaflex?
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 19:51   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Installing plexiglass in Goiot hatches

There are many choices far better than standard Sikaflex. There was a recent thread on this topic. Do a thread search and you should be able to find it.

I replaced the plastic in my hatches almost 20 years ago with a silicone product from General Electric called Ultraglaze 400 and it is still fine.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Installing plexiglass in Goiot hatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccubbin View Post
3 years ago in Scotland we replaced he glass in our Goiot hatches. Quite easy using the goo Goiot supplied for 3 hatches and Sikaflex for one. No problems in a lot of sailing, including trans-Atlantic
We got back on board in Panama today after summer layup, and find hatches leaking because the glass is slightly buckled upwards.
For the first time we put aluminum foil inside to block the sun from attacking interior varnish. I guess this made the hatches hotter in the sun

Any solutions?
We can rebed the glass in Sikaflex.
Is there a better goo for the job than Sikaflex?
Which Sikaflex did you use? There is one (791 UV?) or this purpose but it needs a primer and I hear it is expensive.

I used Dow 795 - very good - I tried on two scrap pieces of Plexiglas and I could not take them apart. Clean up the work with alcohol before applying.
5 years and no leaks.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Goiot, hatch