Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 06:38   #1

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34
Installing a solar vent fan

I'm planning on installing a solar vent fan on the salon hatch. It's one of the clear type of hatches. The manufacturer warns about using a sealent with polysulfide compounds as they may damage the hatch.

I'd like to hear from someone who's installed one of these vents to learn what they used as a sealent. Thanks to all who reply.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 06:50   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Installing a solar vent fan

There are lots of sealants that are safe for acrylic- you just have to check the spec sheet. I've used Sika 295UV. Good stuff.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:28   #3

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
There are lots of sealants that are safe for acrylic- you just have to check the spec sheet. I've used Sika 295UV. Good stuff.
Thanks for the advice, Copacabana.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 13:50   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

The fan will come with a gasket (I believe its neoprene). Our fan was installed with that gasket and there is no signs of deterioration even after 3 years (in a Lewmar acrylic hatch). It has never leaked even though its been through some REALLY SERIOUS rains. We used no other sealants.

Now as to the solar fan itself. I probably won't have the popular opinion, but I think they are a waste of money. Frankly I don't think they move enough air to do anything. Even when ours was new it didn't move enough air to make a tissue or toilet paper move when held up close. I have never been able to feel any amount of air movement from it (holding my hand up for instance). To me, its just an overpriced whirly gizmo.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:24   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The solar fans do jack all for cooling the boat. They are effective at keeping air circulating in a closed up boat and help prevent mould and general dampness though.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:28   #6

Boat: Boatless

And when you take a solid wave over the boat they leak.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:45   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The solar fans do jack all for cooling the boat. They are effective at keeping air circulating in a closed up boat and help prevent mould and general dampness though.
We think it did absolutely bubkiss when we put the boat up last hurricane season in Antigua. Of course hard to quantify, but I'm pretty sure it did nothing. They just don't move ANY air.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 16:02   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
We think it did absolutely bubkiss when we put the boat up last hurricane season in Antigua. Of course hard to quantify, but I'm pretty sure it did nothing. They just don't move ANY air.

I think they do, but they no doubt some would be more effective in some installations than in others. I would also suspect that when installed in certain locations, the venturi effect could possibly draw more air from the boat than the fan itself.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 08:27   #9

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

We have one in the timber deckhead of our head which does not have any other external ventilation. It has always proved effective and NEVER leaks. You can definitely feel the air movement. I'd install another whenever the current one packs up - as they do because the solar panels don't last forever.
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 08:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I think they do, but they no doubt some would be more effective in some installations than in others. I would also suspect that when installed in certain locations, the venturi effect could possibly draw more air from the boat than the fan itself.
They definitely do. For someone looking for cooling this isn't the answer but for ventilation they work well.

Recommended one to my son in law who had a serious problem with condensation with resulting mold and mildew on his power boat. One fan and the problem was completely cured.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 08:58   #11

Boat: Pearson

I recently removed my solar vent and replaced my cracked lexan hatch. I didnt reinstall due to leakage and no cooling ability, altho it moved some air, but in bad storms or waves it would leak, not around the silicon seal but through the vent.
Old 24-06-2018, 10:30   #12

Boat: Beneteau, oceanis 423
Send a message via Skype™ to PassePort III

Had one of those on the foward hatch (v- berth) and it leaked. Maybe it was a cheap one I don't know. They claimed it draws 900cfm.
Changed the fwd hatch last december.
Old 24-06-2018, 10:37   #13

Boat: O'Day 40

Mine won't bring in enough air to cool things down but, if I use the exhaust fan supplied, it removes enough moist air from the ceiling area to be effective.
There is also a plastic sleeve that pretty much seals it from leaking when a wave breaks over the boat.
Old 24-06-2018, 11:17   #14

A cheaters method...

For the past couple of seasons I have opened the hatch, placed a battery-operated workshop fan (rechargeable battery) over the opening and enjoyed the breeze. Suitable for a hot night...the battery dies around 3 am after the boat has been comfortably cooled.

I use the Ryobi model which is the predecessor to this
https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...lus-hybrid-fan

Downside: must close the hatch when it rains.

David
DavePR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:12   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
The fan will come with a gasket (I believe its neoprene). Our fan was installed with that gasket and there is no signs of deterioration even after 3 years (in a Lewmar acrylic hatch). It has never leaked even though its been through some REALLY SERIOUS rains. We used no other sealants.

Now as to the solar fan itself. I probably won't have the popular opinion, but I think they are a waste of money. Frankly I don't think they move enough air to do anything. Even when ours was new it didn't move enough air to make a tissue or toilet paper move when held up close. I have never been able to feel any amount of air movement from it (holding my hand up for instance). To me, its just an overpriced whirly gizmo.
Are you sure you have it in the open position... That's when the inner white ring sleeve is pulled down into.the boat and about 3/4" of.the white ring is showing below the black outer housing. Also to increase air.flow remove the Mosquito screen plate. It is not necessary since they can't fly against the air.flow to get in. Works on our boat for sure.
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar