Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 15:41   #61

Re: In Search of Rod Ends

I wonder what I will find if I cut a hole.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 16:10   #62

Boat: C&C 37

hmmm, you don't have an access hole from the rear of the aft berths on each keel? this is a poor photo but you can see the connecting rod with the tie rod ends that connect to the rudder post. its just a pain to work on the rudder post attachment through this opening...much easier from top. but you should be able to see your post if you have this opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_190025.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	164900  
Old 25-02-2018, 18:08   #63

Your rudders are beneath the deck - so to speak- my rudders only hinge at the back of the boat. The control posts are out in the air. Old picture of everything exposed.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 07:28   #64

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Milagroman,

No I have not finished the solution yet - it's going to be a while yet (things move slowly with snow on the ground....).

We have cut the tie-bar and removed it from the boat - I am now waiting for the SS rod-ends to come in.
I should have the welding done by early March, but since we have some epoxy work to do in the aft compartment (fixing some holes around the chain plates) it likely won't be until May until fully installed

Our rudders were slightly toed in, but when we reassemble we are going to go with straight. With the updated tie bar we are planning on having the threaded rods on each end be fully adjustable as they will screw into the tie bar so we can deal with different length etc. (solve the problem you seen to have)

We do not have an emergency tiller attach. I've actually never seen one and really would wonder how it work work in practice. On our boat I'm not even sure I could cut a hatch over the rudder post due to our dinghy davits...

Here are a couple photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroman View Post
geoffr
on the tie rod ends, did you complete the solution as proposed in your last post? if so, work as planned or is there a lesson learned that you would do differently?

on your rudders, are they in alignment with the canoe ends when centered? on mine both of the rudders are toed-in as in photo of starboard rudder. the other thing that is strange is the extended rudder shaft for an emergency tiller (??) is on the starboard, altbougbwithoutis the access port above the shaft is over the port side rudder?? my guess is someone switched the rudders from port and starboard?? any light you can shed on this mystery would be appreciated.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 07:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
I wonder what I will find if I cut a hole.
When we bought the boat we had two small access hatches in the rear berths which allowed you to see the rudder post. We have since greatly enlarged them as I couldn't get in there enough to use the socket to remove the tiller arm and bolts holding the hardware around the rudder posts out.
Old 14-04-2018, 10:48   #66

Here is an update - got the tie bar back from the welder:

Old 14-04-2018, 11:24   #67

Boat: C&C 37

wow, beautiful! what an improvement!
Old 14-04-2018, 23:59   #68

Boat: Island Packet 40

Nice work.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 01:08   #69

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Not sure what I'm seeing here, and don't mean to rain on your parade, but the welds in this picture

appear to be unfinished, and seem likely to fail if left in this state, especially when compared to the welds in this picture.

Of course, since I'm just looking at pictures and ignorant of the process and logic you're using, this should be taken with a rather large grain of salt...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 01:24   #70

I replaced the tie-rod ends for my Snow Goose about five years ago with ones meant for a Toyota Corolla. They aren’t stainless but have carbon fibre bearings. I bought them in an automotive shop in Aden which had many other types, some being greaseable.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 03:04   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Drifter View Post
I replaced the tie-rod ends for my Snow Goose about five years ago with ones meant for a Toyota Corolla. They aren’t stainless but have carbon fibre bearings. I bought them in an automotive shop in Aden which had many other types, some being greaseable.
it would be nice to know the source and type of the "actual" tie rod ends used on the elite series,and probably many other prout models.
which i am confident should still be available in the uk as a stock part.

i have prout design plans for the steering arm,but there is no reference to the tie rod manufacturer or part number
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 04:14   #72

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Tie rod ends are easily available from bearing manufacturers - like skf, saeco bearings etc. stainless, incl 316 options as well. They are standard industrial parts...
Old 15-04-2018, 04:29   #73

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Tie rod ends are easily available from bearing manufacturers - like skf, saeco bearings etc. stainless, incl 316 options as well. They are standard industrial parts...
Except in this case, where the OP wanted 9/16" LH, where the standard sizes jump from 1/2" to 5/8"...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 04:40   #74

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Really? 9/16 is not an unusual size. Try http://www.rbcbearings.com
Old 15-04-2018, 04:50   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Except in this case, where the OP wanted 9/16" LH, where the standard sizes jump from 1/2" to 5/8"...
that might be a mistake by the op,on my prout the 9/16 tie rod ends are both RH,to adjust the length i have to undo the tapered(aprox 1/2"-7/16") stud on the tie rod end, on one side where it attaches to the tiller arm and undo or do it up for adjustment.

turning the linkage bar,just unscrews on one end,and screws up on the other with the rod ends in place.

it would be nice if geoff could confirm this now he has both of the old rod ends to hand.

the link to the "morris minor" rod ends looks promising,although they do not specify what the stud taper size is,only the (9/16 thread and RH thread)
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc