Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2018, 10:01   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Improve ventilation in Tashiba-31

I have a Tashiba-31 and want to improve the ventilation in 3 areas: The v-berth, main cabin under the settee and floor, and the engine / aft storage area.

Right now there are 4 dorade vents that provide air to the cabins. 2 are in the main cabin and 2 are in the v-berth. I keep the 2 cabin dorade faced into the wind and the 2 v-berth dorade faced away from the wind. I normally leave the v-berth door open even though it is louvered. Is this the proper way to aligned the dorade for proper ventilation?

The area under the v-berth and under the floorboards does not appear to be ventilated at all. Is this common? I live aboard, so leaving the floorboards and panels open is not an option. Any way to improve air circulation in these areas without cutting a lot of holes?

I' thinking of ducting a solar vent to push or pull air into these areas. Has anyone tried this with success?

The aft engine compartment is served by 2 half-clams on the stern. I would like to add a solar powered vent fan, but haven't been able to come up with a location for it. Suggestions?

Thanks!
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 11:11   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Improve ventilation in Tashiba-31

For the dorades I would introduce the fresh air into the part of the boat closest to the eye of the wind. At anchor that will be the b-berth. At the dock that may be the salon or a beam. So if the wind is from the stbd beam, all dorades on starboard face into it, all dorades on port face away.

I haven’t tried this personally yet, but for the engine compartment, add an inline blower in the duct connected to a small solar panel. It won’t produce full power, but it also won’t produce full noise.

Beneath the settees is a problem in colder water.....I suggest you move south
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote