Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 17:32   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44
Importing boat parts to Philippines

Hi we are in transit to Davao in the Philippines for a moderate refit and need to order a fair few specialty parts from the U.S. And elsewhere. Have been looking into duty etc. and I see that for repairs we should be able to import the parts duty free as long as we export within 6 months.

See link: Philippines

Has anyone brought parts into the Philippines? What was your experience with duty etc.? Any tips hints or suggestions? Did you file the paperwork mentioned in the link with the department of finance? Can this be done in Davao?

As always thank you for your help.

Millhouse
SV Small Cat Fun
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:07   #2

Boat: '77 Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Importing boat parts to Philippines

I will be shipping from Los Angeles to Subic Bay in the next two weeks. Subic bay is a Freeport Zone and I have an importer there that imports duty free. He charges around $100 to handle all the customs paperwork on that side. I am struggling to figure out the consolidator part on this side. I have started requesting quotes today.

If you have done this before or have some idea how you're planning to ship I'd like to hear it. Maybe we should combine our shipments and save some cash.

I'll PM you
Zingaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:25   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The problem in the Philippines is that each Custom's Region, assess and interpret ships spares duty differently and at a snail's pace. Often you end up paying duty just to get the parts.

The best solution is to find a Filipino who will accept Balikbayan Boxes on your behalf, sent by Air Freight from the many BB agents worldwide.

This way, it is fast tracked as everyone in the Philippines have overseas working relatives, who ship things home.

Faster and Cheaper
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 18:55   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingaro69 View Post
I will be shipping from Los Angeles to Subic Bay in the next two weeks. Subic bay is a Freeport Zone and I have an importer there that imports duty free. He charges around $100 to handle all the customs paperwork on that side. I am struggling to figure out the consolidator part on this side. I have started requesting quotes today.

If you have done this before or have some idea how you're planning to ship I'd like to hear it. Maybe we should combine our shipments and save some cash.

I'll PM you
Hi see Pelagic's post, this is what I've read as well. There is another way which is to declare the import is for repair and overhaul and pay 150% of duty in bond up front, then get it back when you leave the country within 6 months but I'm worried about the bureaucracy to tell you the truth. I'm gonna look into the secret boxes. Also I hear USPS can be delivered duty free I will look into that as well and keep you posted. I won't have my order ready in a week, I need a bit more time to sort this out. Let me know if you find anything out as well.

Millhouse
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, parts, Philippines