Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 09:35   #1

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'
Impact driver.

Is it true that harder you stright the more efficient the tool is.
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 09:44   #2

Re: Impact driver.

Did you mean "strike?"

If so, perhaps. One trick I learned is to make the first "hit" on any recalcitrant fastener in the tighter direction and only then do it in the remove direction.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 13:34   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The harder you strike the more force you deliver, yes. Using a maul will give you the strongest hit. Using a dead hammer (shot hammer) is second best. DO NOT use a standard claw hammer (carpenter's hammer) as they are not designed for metal on metal impacts, they can chip and metal flakes can get in your eye. A ball peen hammer is made of different alloy, to use on metal. Either way, safety goggles recommended.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I usually use a big heavy rubber mallet $1.99 at Harbor Freight. I also have an Estwing Electrician's hammer that I've used on my impact driver many times It is heavier than a regular claw hammer. It is more of a framing hammer with an integral all-metal handle, a straighter claw in back and an extra-long neck for the head so it can reach into an electrical box when using a regular nail or a concrete anchor.

I have abused that thing for decades on an almost daily basis, hammered on metal, concrete, brixk masonry and mortar, steel I-beams, even an anvil. Never has any metal ever chipped off of it, although I have blunted the claws slightly using it on masonry and concrete making and enlarging holes.

I suppose it depends on the hammer. 500+ years ago this hammer I have would have made a pretty good weapon of war. I know if someone ever tried to mug me while I was carrying my tool pouch to or from work they would have gotten quite the surprise.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:43   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I've got some Estwing tools. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone buying them because they wanted cheap, or just average, tools. I wouldn't be surprised if the hammer faces were a bit different from the ones at the dollar store.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote