Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-05-2015, 11:26   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: I removed all the bottom paint, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
isn't the blue haze just bottom paint in the surface of the gel coat? just sand the bottom rough and apply the epoxy.
Tried that, if I sand more I'll remove the gelcoat entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
You may be right, '67 is probably pre skip sand. If it's just leftover AF, your 202 wipe should remove it. You are using 202, right?
Haven't tried 202, I usually use the Awlgrip equivalent T0008, but since I'll be using International this time, I'll get 202 for the final wipe.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:38   #17

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If the hull is dry, as measured by a moisture meter, I would leave it alone and just bottom paint it. The problem with Interprotect is that it has a limited life (some have seen it fail in just over 5 years on boats built before 1998 with Polyester resin). If you feel you must put a barries coat on there is an excellent product made and sold bt, believe it or not, Sherwan - Williams.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:05   #18

Boat: Tradewind 33

I saw the same light blue haze after getting down to (near) gelcoat conditions last year on my 1980 Albin Cumulus - may be the skip sand as the vast sections of paint flaked off with modest effort behind a 2" paint scraper - long story short I just went ahead and barrier coated right over it, no blisters, so the point is to get something that will stick well to the hull and provide an opportunity for chemical bond with antifouling. I started with Interlux 2000E but it is very thin stuff and they recommend 7 coats, so after 2 coats I switched to Petit (aka West Marine) - much thicker, 2 more coats and I was done. Went with Vivid in white so I could see the bottom layer of AF paint in future. Flawless last spring, flawless on haul out in the fall.

So, October last year I find a really good deal on a bigger boat - 1986 O'Day 31 (creature comforts actually become a consideration as one ages) - so now I am finding light blue haze under the blue bottom paint that flakes off with ease in front of my 2" scraper. And that which does not come off with ease can wait till next season, because the one thing I learned last year is - don't do a complete and flawless bottom job or you will wind up with 1 boat 2 many!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16   #19

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
You may be right, '67 is probably pre skip sand. If it's just leftover AF, your 202 wipe should remove it. You are using 202, right?
I just completed a bottom and topside hull paint job on my 41 year old Bristol. I removed all the old paint from the topside hull down to the gelcoat which happened to be biege. Some areas were all the way down to fiberglass on bottom and topside, and I followed the directions on the 202 can then painted with two coats of Easypoxy roll and tip. The bottom got Micron CSC Ablative but I didn't take it all down to fiberglass just in spots.

Never did see a real gelcoat layer on the bottom though. Just old bottom paint and maybe a layer of primer?

It's looking good so far.

Interlux 202 Fiberglass Solvent Wash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01813.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	101459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01814.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	101460  

Old 05-05-2015, 13:28   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Tried that, if I sand more I'll remove the gelcoat entirely.

Haven't tried 202, I usually use the Awlgrip equivalent T0008, but since I'll be using International this time, I'll get 202 for the final wipe.

Totally different products. Awlprep (T0008) is not nearly aggressive enough. Careful with 202; Acid Gas resp carts only, triple glove, and DO NOT SPILL. It will eat a big hole in the boatyard asphalt before you can clean it up if you do. Proper two rag technique makes all the difference.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 18:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
................... Proper two rag technique makes all the difference.
Thanks, Minaeret, but pleased clarify the "proper two rag technique".
Old 05-05-2015, 18:25   #22

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I am not sure if the blue "hue" is from a mold release - bottom paint would adhere if it was.

Starting to think that if the bottom is good after 47 years, should I really apply a barrier coat?
We sand blasted ours, folowed by epoxy gel-pop repair, then 40 grit wheel & 5 coats of interprotect. I was surprised whent he Interprotect rep told me to use 40-60 grit to provide a tooth to the surface. I think a barrier coat is a good plan.

Other blasting methods are CO2, soda, walnut shells. - All less agressive than sand.
Old 05-05-2015, 18:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Thanks, Minaeret, but pleased clarify the "proper two rag technique".
It's from the directions on the can of 202. Wet rag applying, followed by dry rag wipe off.
Old 05-05-2015, 19:21   #24

Quote:
Totally different products. Awlprep (T0008) is not nearly aggressive enough. Careful with 202; Acid Gas resp carts only, triple glove, and DO NOT SPILL. It will eat a big hole in the boatyard asphalt before you can clean it up if you do. Proper two rag technique makes all the difference.
Point taken, thanks. I will get the 202 - scary stuff, but I am on a blue haze elimination mission.
Old 05-05-2015, 19:39   #25

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

I'm going to go against the grain here. Similar vintage boat, 1976,/not a blister, pre-blister spot of anything when I bought her in 2010. Blisters typically develop in 10, maybe 15 years at most, IIRC. Also considered barrier coating, but just couldn't justify it. We stripped the 4+ layers of bottom paint with a rounded edge cabinet scraper: 1/3 of the time, if not less, easier (less backache) and no damage to the gelcoat than sanding. (The idea of taking 40 grit to my hull seems like a very, very bad idea. You take away so much material that way). We recoated with 2 layers of Jotun anti-foul. 2.5 years later, we hauled again, cabinet scraper removed the old paint again in 3 hours (J says 4 hours to be safe. This was a full keel 32'). Paint was still in great shape, and still not a blister to be found.

Skip the barrier paint. For an older boat, with a good quality layup, it doesn't help. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. I've also heard rumours (absolutely completely unfounded boat rumours) that a barrier coat can just seal in any moisture that was there, causing further issues. I can make no statement as to the veracity of that claim.

Sent from my XT1034 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-05-2015, 05:36   #26

Quote:
Point taken, thanks. I will get the 202 - scary stuff
I used one pair of cheap latex gloves and my regular mask that I used when sanding when I applied it. Had no problems..............

I just did the bare fiberglass spots on the bottom with the 202, but went over the entire topside hull (during a light rain)

I also had the half empty can in the back of my Jeep for a month until I gave it to one of the guys that did this stuff for a living.

Topside photos show the beginning of the sanding. I sanded the whole topside until it was that beige gelcoat probably applied July of '74. The cleaned up topside picture was after one coat of roll and tip Easypoxy. Second coat had some runs/drips/errors. It was my first try.

One gallon Easypoxy was $88.00 and I also painted some spots in the interior with the left over as well as the cockpit sole which will have to be redone in a couple years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01759.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	101476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01760.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	101477  

Name:	DSC01808.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	101478   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01764.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	101479  

Old 06-05-2015, 05:51   #27

I'd really like to do my next bottom job like this guy though.

The yard fees do start to add up after a few months.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bottom job.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	101480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat work.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	101482  

Old 06-05-2015, 06:29   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
I've also heard rumours (absolutely completely unfounded boat rumours) that a barrier coat can just seal in any moisture that was there, causing further issues. I can make no statement as to the veracity of that claim.

Sent from my XT1034 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I think that is absolutely true, my boat when I surveyed her, had several areas of "pox", small .25" blisters in areas that did not go through the Gelcoat. Boat had a new bottom job, complete with Barrier coat a year or so before, and I think they put the barrier coat on a boat who's hull wasn't perfectly dry. (Gelcoat absorbs moisture I believe).
This year when she was hauled for a bottom job, for some reason most of the "pox" wasn't there?

Anyway this boat in question has been on the hard for four years, and I assume the hull is as dry as it ever will be, so there should be no moisture to seal in. As the owner indicated, he will never have a better time to do it.

I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix it crowd too
Old 06-05-2015, 06:37   #29

Quote:
One further question:
It was easy to sand the rudder down to the fiberglass, looks like it was rebuilt and it did not have gelcoat.

I read somewhere that Interprotect 2000 should not be applied over bare fiberglass, and if so, would a coat of neat epoxy over the bare fiberglass be OK before the 2000?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:19   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'd really like to do my next bottom job like this guy though.

The yard fees do start to add up after a few months.
I was "that guy" in the 1970's!

....but, four decades later my challenges are different!

Tags
bottom paint, paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: