Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 14:27   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
I must have just screwed up

Painting my mast with Interlux Brightside paint. Had one coat on of Brightside over Pre-Kote for 24 hours in basement. Hasn't been less than 60F in that time. Sanded as directed with 320, vacuumed with shop vac and brush attachment. Then I wet a rag with Acetone and started wiping a section got final cleaning before coat # 2. That must not react well with this paint, as I immediately noticed it softening the first cost! Isn't it a fast drying solvent? I have the recommended Interlux Brushing liquid 333 but don't have much left and frankly couldn't stand the thought of ordering another can of this expensive stuff and spying hazmat shipping fee, just to wipe down a mast. I'll bet however some of you are going to tell me I can use Acetone for this, which now seems obvious to me. Fortunately there is only about a 3 ft section on only half the diameter of the round mast, so I'm planning to sand it all off, probes lay prime thar spot again, first coat again, and then hopefully clean next time with something other that 333. Is there something else I can use or do I have to suck it up and use 333?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 14:36   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: I must have just screwed up

You don't have to use acetone or 333. Just use water after sanding. As long as there are no chemicals on your freshly sanded paint, there is no need to etch it with a solvent.
Sanding it is so the next layer has a bonding surface. Just wipe it down with a wet cloth rinsing it in a deep bucket changing the water often until it comes out clean.

I normally use a wet/dry sand paper for painted surfaces anyway.
Old 08-11-2015, 19:19   #3

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
I must have just screwed up

I think 333 is just Kerosene with a bit of naphtha.
Mainly formulated to pick up sanding residue.
A good wash down with water and maybe a light degreaser( Simple green) dry well, tack cloth, paint.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:24   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Acetone will soften and etch especially new paint.
Wipe with tack cloth only.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:29   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

A little tip about wet N dry sandpaper. To keep it from rolling over in your hand just cut into desired sized sections and glue them back to back with a contact cement.
It has saved so much frustration for me.
Old 09-11-2015, 14:55   #6

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Painting my mast with Interlux Brightside paint. Had one coat on of Brightside over Pre-Kote for 24 hours in basement. Hasn't been less than 60F in that time. Sanded as directed with 320, vacuumed with shop vac and brush attachment. Then I wet a rag with Acetone and started wiping a section got final cleaning before coat # 2. That must not react well with this paint, as I immediately noticed it softening the first cost! Isn't it a fast drying solvent? I have the recommended Interlux Brushing liquid 333 but don't have much left and frankly couldn't stand the thought of ordering another can of this expensive stuff and spying hazmat shipping fee, just to wipe down a mast. I'll bet however some of you are going to tell me I can use Acetone for this, which now seems obvious to me. Fortunately there is only about a 3 ft section on only half the diameter of the round mast, so I'm planning to sand it all off, probes lay prime thar spot again, first coat again, and then hopefully clean next time with something other that 333. Is there something else I can use or do I have to suck it up and use 333?
You will get a lot of advice here, and I'll give you some more...from the perspective of someone that painted boats for a living.

Acetone is not to be used for wiping down oil based paints. Paint, let it dry, sand, vacuum, and wipe with denatured alcohol...it absorbs any moisture on the surface and leaves no chemical residue. As mentioned by another poster 333 is high grade hero...read the label.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:07   #7

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

[QUOTE=morven55;1958237]You will get a lot of advice here, and I'll give you some more...from the perspective of someone that painted boats for a living.

Acetone is not to be used for wiping down oil based paints. Paint, let it dry, sand, vacuum, and wipe with denatured alcohol...it absorbs any moisture on the surface and leaves no chemical residue. As mentioned by another poster 333 is high grade hero...read the label.[/QUOT

+ 1
Save the acetone for resins. 333 is a brushing thinner not a cleaner. sure you can use it as such. Stick to the designed systems and get a high quality job that lasts as advertised.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:38   #8

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Thanks folks. I have plenty of Denatured Alcohol because I use it to clean between coats of varnish. That will make it easy to remember.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew