Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2007, 04:42   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I learned a new skill

this week. It involves a lil' tool that looks like this.....

The Admiral finally got around to fixing up the zippers on our canvas screens. I got her a heavy duty Singer sewing machine just for this type of job as well for a few projects on the new one. It was trial and error having never done this before. Needless to say ripping about 60' of extremely tough #92 bonded nylon thread is no small task! After a couple of false starts she got it on the third try!

Did I mention that the thread ripper is pretty good at drawing blood too?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 05:03   #2

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
I might add that he is pretty handy with that tool.

The actual job was to remove old zippers from our screens and put in new ones. The person who put the old zippers in was very concerned with them ever coming loose. I'm sure the screens would have fallen away from decay before the stitching ever gave. Not to be outdone, I sewed a similar pattern. Then had to adjust...a couple of times....

I caught him eyeing up the sewin machine a couple of times, too. He even asked if I wanted him to do some of the sewing....NO WAY! I'm not allowed to use his power tools, so I'm not sharing mine!

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 05:23   #3

Hey folks,just out of intrest.

When ya re-sew the new screens,dosn't the old stitch holes create a problem with fraying or looseness in the edges of the original canvas?I would think the new screens would out last the old canvas.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 05:42   #4

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Hi Mudnut!

The screens are bound all the way around with leather (or leather-like material) and I was concerned about it falling appart with all the stitching, ripping and restitching but it held up very well, with no fraying or holes. The screen material itself seemed to be protected because it, too showed no sign of wear.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 19:18   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A proper sewing job (WITH A NEEDLE IN GOOD CONDITION!!!) shouldn't cause any problems with fraying. A bad needle will cause damage to the fabric, but a good needle will actually go BETWEEN the weave.
If you look at the tip of a good needle, you will see a nice point or ball shape. If you look at a bad needle, you will see a chisel, mushroom or other horrible shape.
A bad needle will sometimes, but not always cause a slight popping sound as it stitches. That's caused by the fabric catching on the sharp nasty edges and jumping up and down with each stitch.

More than once, I've informed little old ladies that yes, actually you can CHANGE the rusty old dull needle that came with your 1950 sewing machine!!!

Steve B.
Certified Bernina sewing machine technician
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 00:56   #6

Okay,I'm good with those explanations.Thanks Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 21:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
Did I mention that the thread ripper is pretty good at drawing blood too?
I think that little red blob on the end of one point looks like a drop of blood. The first time I saw one of these tools, I thought the resemblance was intentional as a warning not to stab yourself with it.

It's an excellent little tool, isn't it? As long as you never push it toward your hand...
Old 19-07-2007, 05:23   #8
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by coot
It's an excellent little tool, isn't it? As long as you never push it toward your hand...
Now ya tell me!

Actually works better pushing it away from yourself. You become an expert pretty quick. We'll see how well I do this weekend with the sewing machine trying to put some things back together! Lori got the zippers done and only broke what? 2 needles?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote