Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 07:49   #46

Re: I have had it with towing the Dingy

You can't have everything. There is always a trade off somewhere.
A beautiful, classic, traditional boat deserves a beautiful, classic, traditional dinghy.
I'd be looking for a light weight hard dinghy. And I'd stow it where Mr. Atkin intended it be stowed. You may even discover that traditional dinks row so well, you will rarely bother mounting the 2 hp air cooled Honda motor you can downsize to (and carry in one hand).
Though you may find that a light weight hard dink presents so little resistance that it actually can be towed without affecting performance. Thus solving your problem without having to uglify your boat.
The Ingrid was simply never designed for an inflatable. Get the right dinghy for your boat and all your dinghy problems go away.
And trying to balance too much weight in the bow with too much weight on the stern is the wrong way to go.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:34   #47

Boat: H36
Re: I have had it with towing the Dingy

You need to look at engineering challenges this was my list and happy with results.

Size dingy and motor to suite your boat. I have a 3.5 aluminum floor with 4hp motor. (36 foot boat)
I can store dingy in locker for off shore.

I sized davits so dingy was just against stern rail when hoisted. This means it comes up at a bit of a angle from when it is in the water. I have a reverse angle with swim platform to over come. I set lift point 18" in from a vertical lift.

Dingy should not be way up in the air this really screws with your caps ratio. All masses need to be as low as possible. My preferred height is the top is even with the stern rail.

Lift points in dingy should be low, I have two at the very bottom of transom and two in the floor near bow. This allows short linings between dingy and davits if your davits are as low as possible.

Combination makes it easy to cross tie dingy when it is hoisted, my dingy does not move.

I use 4:1 blocks on motor end and two 2:1 on bow. Each line is feed through a sheet stopper and positioned so I can use jib winches to assist with lifting. No safety knots at the ends, in a emergence all lines must be released quickly to abandoned dingy, better engineering and safety choice.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote