Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2009, 15:32   #16

Captainsurvey

Hey-this is my first post sooooo
If the location you don't know the spelling on is Tavernier Fl my boat is there and I am around a bit. If it is in Ft Lauderdale I get there on jobs about every other week. I would be happy to take a look and perhaps give a bit of insight of the probable depth of the proposed money pit. Remember-BOAT=BOut Aother Thousand. Anyway if it is in Tavernier (so named cause there is always a Tavern Near) I may know the boat as I am a local Marine Surveyor. I may be able to give some ideas. . . . .
Capn'T AMS
captainsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 22:13   #17

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
There are many project boats here. Generally the current owners think they are great but even if had for free they will end up costing more than their market value when finished.

Perhaps but consider this.
When I looked at older boats, even those that were in very good shape, they all needed upgrades. For instance, a tayana 37 for 60K might need 40K in work to bring it up to your standards, but one in good shape for 90K would still need a bit of work as well, maybe 10K lets say. So either way your out about the same amount of money, Except, with the first choice, if done right, your boat will be well known to you. All major systems will be new or almost like new. And you will have the pride of a job well done, instead of just buying someones elses boat and off you go sailing.

Our Endeavour 40 was bought that way, and so far I have spent maybe 15K on her. The fuel tanks will be repaired, all new water tanks, the pumps all new, as is the hosing. New head, new holding tanks, purasan. The electrical system will be new. All major systems will be upgraded. The cushions, ports and interior wood stripped and revarnished.
Soon I will replace the horrible and ugly bekerson ports with stainless New found metal ports. One day the engine will be replaced with a new yanmar. and the list goes on. All worth it. A boat in very good conditon would have cost 30K more than I payed for it, and some of this would STILL have to been done. And it would have been harder and costlier, as I would have been hesitant to pull tanks on a nicer boat.
My spouse was initally unsupportive of this, but now is in synce. This is my retirement project and one day she will be good as new, only better cause I will know every inch of this boat unlike most of those that pay someone just to install something minor. The PO was upset when the installer for his radar drilled thru the fuel fill hose. I say he should have been upset with him self for paying someone to do what he could easlily have done himself.

I won't sail as much as I could right now, but I get a lot of satisfaction from completing one job and going to the next. Its fun.

Just be sure as you can that its the boat you want to stay with for a while, as it would be a real shame to want another boat after a lot of time expense and money.
I love vagabond 47's. But at 4 times the cost of my boat, and still needing a lot of work, i will stay with my choice and spend time and effort on making it mine.

Good luck to you sir.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 17:21   #18

Fate has intervened

Thanks for all your comments and insights but fate has intervened. The firm where I work starting laying off yesterday and while I was not one of them, who knows what the near future will hold. We have a big make or break milestone coming up in a few months and I will have more certainty after that but now is not the time to sink "boatloads" (sorry) of cash into a project. Still going to FL to hang with my broker friend and will get some warm weather. Fair winds to all and maybe in a few months you will hear back from me.

Regards