Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13   #1

Hypalon Dinghy Repair

I have a hypalon dinghy, there is a large leak in the boat and hypalon glue is not available where I am (in the Dominican Republic). Can anyone tell me if there is another glue that will work to adhere the patch, the marina store here sold me Wurth "fast fix super glue" and said it would work. I would appreciate help with this as we will be delivering a boat from here to Panama and need a dependable dinghy.
curtandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08   #2

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtandsandi View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is another glue that will work to adhere the patch,
The short answer is no, even good quality 2 part Hypalon glues can fail if the procedure is not done properly. I have repaired hundreds of inflatables and ribs, about half of the time I was re-doing a failed repair that was carried out with the the wrong type or out of date glue or glued in the wrong conditions in the first place.
Using the wrong type of glue also damages the Hypalon so further down the line the patch to cover a botched repair only increases in size and seriously de-values the boat.
Best to wait and order the proper 2 part glue and solvent (toulene) via mail or wait to get the job done right. You can get 1 part Hypalon glue as well but this is just for doing a temporary repair with your emergency kit and not designed to last the season.
The working conditions are also vital espically when it comes to heat and moisture.
After all the last thing you want is the repair to fail when your life depends on it.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:54   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440
Geminidawn, thanks for the info - can you please advise a brand name for a suitable glue?? I have a Hypalon RIB that is fine in the tubes but the rubbery bits, handles, rowlocks etc are falling off due to glue joint fauilure. Shipping glue is a problem due to DG classification in some parts and local search may be the only answer.
Many thanks
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:59   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440
Oooops - just looked at the other post re SC2000 glue so will search for this or equivalent. There was also mention of Sikaflex 291 which is easily available - has anybody tried this for attaching rowlocks, handles etc?? Any negative effect on the Hypalon tubes??
Cheers
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 21:40   #5

Boat: csy 37
3M 5200 works. i put a patch on my avon 20 years ago and it's still firmly stuck. i also made a recent discovery; gorilla super glue (not the regular gorilla glue) which comes in tiny tubes holds really well too. i've got a small repair on my zeppelin i did a few months ago and it's still there as well.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 21:54   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
3M 5200 works. i put a patch on my avon 20 years ago and it's still firmly stuck. i also made a recent discovery; gorilla super glue (not the regular gorilla glue) which comes in tiny tubes holds really well too. i've got a small repair on my zeppelin i did a few months ago and it's still there as well.
I second that. I'm never using the regular hypalon glue again. I've had better success with 5200. (and look forward to trying the gorilla glue - thanks for that tip)
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 00:11   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have Hypolon 2 part glue (1 litre can almost all used!)
Its just ok, but I have heard the Super Glue thing too and it is said to work well.

I am going to give it a try.

Mixing the 2 part glue is a pain compared to super glue. Anyway I'll give it a try.

Prollly today! LOL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:12   #8

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHong Kong View Post
Geminidawn, thanks for the info - can you please advise a brand name for a suitable glue?? I have a Hypalon RIB that is fine in the tubes but the rubbery bits, handles, rowlocks etc are falling off due to glue joint fauilure. Shipping glue is a problem due to DG classification in some parts and local search may be the only answer.
Many thanks
Paul
The glue I use and is recommended in the industry is Bostik 2402 and Bostik brand Toulene, both of which is also used in dive centres for suit repair so it is widely available. Yes there is often problems with liquids and shipping but I find the online chandlers give you the least ammount of fuss and get the products out to you.
Hypalon lasts for at least 10 years, PVC half that, the problem with Hypalon boats is all the rubbing strips, handles, rowlocks etc are made from PVC and after about 5 years and enough UV exposure the PVC furnishings go brittle and start to separate, re-bedding them may work but if the problem returns and there's still plenty of life in the Hypalon you may need to look at replacing them.

As regards to the rest of you and your experiments-That's Great! Keep it up! It looks like I'll not be out of a job anytime soon .
In all honesty use what you want and if it sticks, great! I can't however, nor can I recommend otherwise. If I do deviate and use or reccomend something not recommended by Lloyd's or the Maritime industry.....it's my ass on the line.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:38   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
My problem is the rubber surface has worn down so the fabric liner is coming through and weakening the tube surface. Its bum action thats done it!

What could I use to resurface it? I have tried glues (the brown marks)

I know 'Lil Dink doesn't have much time till she retires but she's gotta keep working as long as possible!

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07874.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	15210  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
My problem is the rubber surface has worn down so the fabric liner is coming through and weakening the tube surface. Its bum action thats done it!

What could I use to resurface it? I have tried glues (the brown marks)

I know 'Lil Dink doesn't have much time till she retires but she's gotta keep working as long as possible!

Thanks for your help!

Mark
I get a lot of Dive RIBs in like this, sound tubes but worn like a old pair of jeans. The best thing to do is just to re-inforce it by recovering it in large Hypalon patches. The Hypalon I usually get quiet cheap as off-cuts from RIB Manufacturers if not try: Henshaw Inflatable Boats for Hypalon by the meter and of course the two part Hypalon Glue.
Only patch a couple of feet at a time as you'll find it a nightmare to wrestle with larger patches that stick instantly on contact.
Make up a pattern first out of paper to work around furnishings and follow the curvature of the boat then apply it to the Hypalon and apply one patch at a time seam to seam and make up the patches as you go along butting them together. Round off all corners prior to gluing with a generous radius any sharp or pointed corners will get "dog eared" and start to pull up again within a short time.
Hope this helps, good luck with it.