Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28   #1

Boat: 50' Custom Aluminum Motorsailer
Hydronic Heating System Design

The boat I just acquired is basically a basket case, ie: PO started the refit process, bought a bunch of gear, then abandoned the project.
I'm picking up the pieces.
Looking for ideas on how to best design a heating system with 2 heat sources, a webasto hydronic diesel heater, and a dickinson pacific with water coils. Both units are still in the wrappers, and came with the boat, however I don't have any of the additional system components yet.
Clearly the stove is a radiant heat source on it's own.
Would like to use the heating coils in the stove as well as the webasto to heat both domestic water and heating radiators distributed throughout the vessel.
Anyone have any ideas on how best to accomplish this?
Thanks,
Lou
ldrumond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 13:37   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wow! Great link, thanks SD!

Now, if I only had a good way to test plastics, besides a burn test.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 03:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WEBASTO Burner Tube Recall

Webasto has uncovered a potential issue with the burner tube of the DBW 2010 coolant heater manufactured from November 2002 until February 05, 2005 wherein the stainless steel walls of the burner tube, in some cases, is made out of material that is not within specification and in those cases could fail prematurely. If such a failure occurs, the surface temperature of the exhaust tube exiting from the heater can increase and could potentially ignite combustible materials in or around the installation area of the heater resulting in a fire which could cause personal injury. Occupants may notice an increase in noise relating to such an occurrence and may observe heat related discoloration of components of the heater's exhaust system.

If you are the owner of a DBW 2010 coolant heating system installed on your watercraft, Webasto urges you to contact your selling Dealer/ Distributor or Sure Marine at (206) 784-9903 to arrange to have the burner tube replaced. Please note that the burner tube is also supplied as Webasto replacement / spare part no. 26553A and may have been fitted into your DBW 2010 during routine maintenance or repairs.

Please contact us at 1-800-555-4518 with questions concerning this issue. If you call, be sure to have the serial number of the heater available.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30   #4

Boat: 45' Asphalt Cruiser
Quote:
Occupants may notice an increase in noise relating to such an occurrence and may observe heat related discoloration of components of the heater's exhaust system.
Serious stuff. I had this happen to our Webasto DBW 2010 (Aqua Hot). I started noticing an increase in noise, like an afterburner. At the beginning of the replaceable burner tube is a shiny metal base that part melted and was blown back to the end of the steel portion of the tube and then over the slight edge and onto the chamber itself, thereby blocking exhaust flow around the bottom of the burner tube. I had to get in with a small dentist-type grinder and grind, and grind, and grind until it was somewhat back to normal. I bought a new tube from Aqua Hot at something like $250 +shipping and they never said nothing. Whew - check to see you have the updated burner tube (is there a way?)
Ultimarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 19:48   #5

Boat: 1973 Jay Benford "TOKETEE" 46'
well, being a low-tech kinda guy, I'd sell the shiny new Webasto (Webastard to service guys) while it's still unused.. I have had many Dickenson stoves, and they have their quirks but you'll never be without heat.. You can (like me) rig the Dick with a water tank, via the coils, and pump this water through the radiant boxes or baseboards, and rig a small hot water heater to act as a boiler at the dock.. Or, (like I did) build your own boiler from pipe and parts and a WH element and a thermostat and have it in paralell with the Dick.. And the engine and genset can also provide hot water.. Just buy a bunc of SS ball valves and 3/4 hose and you'll never be without heat. I'd stay away from components theat require propietary (sp) parts that cost a fortune, and use standard pieces from Mcmaster or grainger... Have fun, good luck.
waterworldrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating