Update on my steering
With multiple sets of eyes on the problem we discovered that
bulkhead that the quadrant and also hydraulic
ram are connected to was flexing. It in fact was not attached
to the bulkhead but was 3/4 inch plywood
at the far ends with 2 bolts on each side.
We installed a 6ft channel bar across the entire bulkhead and
put 10 through bolts to create one stiff assembly. This repair
revealed that the bushing on the hydraulic ram is worn and
needs replacement. We could not have see this problem without
first repairing the quadrant bulkhead issues. Next the ram will
be removed, rebuilt and installed.
I'm sure that I will find more worn components after the ram
is repaired. One step at a time.
Headed on a downwind sail to Culebra
in the Spanish Virgins
to conduct some testing underway. Nothing like some quality
time in the Lazarette while underway. Updates to follow.