Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2014, 10:28   #1

Hydraulic ram leaking ..

greetings..
my external hydraulic ram is leaking and needs servicing..anyone have a good recommendation in the us to repair it...or else inform me how to open it, see what seals and o rings need replacing, etc..
am in salinas pr ..but have good mail service here to the us...thanks..
it's a Freedom40, cat/ketch...external capitano teleflex ram....

Old 29-03-2014, 10:46   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Hydraulic ram leaking ..

Look on YouTube: hydraulic ram repair.

Old 29-03-2014, 11:14   #3

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

I've never torn one apart but I would not be to scared if I came across one needing some service. If you feel confident enough to do it I say go for it!

First if you feel daring to do it yourself I'd first locate a seal kit. Then know it will be mesy. Hydraulic fluid gets everywhere and is torture on latex gloves. Even the nitrile gloves I love to use break down after prolong contact. Disconnect the lines to the ram have a bucket to catch fluid and if you like have a way to plug up the hoses to prevent more loss of fluid and keep contaminants out. Clean any gunk and grim around the fittings if possible. Also have something below absorbant mat wise so nothing leaches to the bilge as would be my biggest concern doing this task.

Remove the ram from however it's secured. Now they appear that on the travel side there's a way to screw that cap off. Unscrew and pull ram out carefully you do not want to mar or scratch the ram or inside of housing at all. Any scratches will destroy the new seals faster and then there not much to do then to replace the whole thing since it will leak and you will lose all hydraulics burn the pump out at the time you need it the most. It's probably strong metal but when working on systems like this I get a little as some claim they have OCD. Me i just do my best to do a thorough job.

Then the cap should have some seals and the bottom of the travel side of the ram should have seals. Be careful tho of more fluid as you pull the ram out. I can't stress how messy is can get and the fluid is thin already and just seeps everywhere in a warm climate.

Compare that you have all the seals before removing any seal. Lay them out in a order you know what goes where. Then one by one gently with a pick start replacing the seals. Try to not then the seals all twisted in the seats where they go. It could make putting it together a little difficult with how little clearance there already is from such high pressure.

Then you are ready to do the opposite. I think i would like to with some fresh hydro fluid just coat the new seals to help slide the ram back in as straight as possible and with as little effort possible to not mar anything or install a little crooked risking any kind of groves or scratches to the ram or piston inside. Tighten the end cap slap or install the ram back to its original place and carefully not to cross the threads on the lines to the ram. Of the lines have corroded ends or the hose looks a little old i would replace them to. It makes the install that more gooder.

As far as the air bubbles most systems I have worked on have what's called a open system I think it is called and are self bleeding. Just have to cycle the ram in and out a few dozen or so times slowly if possible to try and

::edit accidently hit wrong button and posted::

To try not to introduce a lot of air bubbles to the system. Let sit maybe a few hours or a day of you have time and cycle the ram again with the pump.

I never taken a ram apart let me say but I've got a idea by looking at them and for the most part do understand the theory. I always say I know enough to say I tap out. This I feel I could do when I need to rebuild one with the right tools. A good pipe wrench maybe a vice a lot of absorbant material, gloves that are durable. That fluid is nasty and can peel paint up.

wondering around with no destionation
Old 29-03-2014, 13:01   #4

Or You could take the ram to a place that repairs industrial/construction machinery.
Old 29-03-2014, 13:23   #5

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

That's no fun paying someone to do work.

Got any suggestions Rick that would do a good job for Capt.Herman? (Munster?)

wondering around with no destionation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: