Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 15:03   #1

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat
Huon Pine Timber - Cosmetic Repair to Hull

The hull (well above the water line) is huon pine, painted white. I have noticed some cracks along the paint, some matching the point where the timber is joined.

I'm hoping to construct a shopping list of what I may need to repair these. Initially, I thought sandpaper (60 then 100 then 180 grit), followed by a primer, then the white paint.

Can I squeeze something into the timber joins while this is exposed? Someone mentioned 'linseed putty'?

I'm sure there's many a words of wisdom regarding what to do and what not to do or avoid.

As always, really appreciate the knowledge.

Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 18:59   #2

Boat: J/36
Re: Huon Pine Timber - Cosmetic Repair to Hull

If you are opening up seams that have “started” to repaint them, it is important to use a soft filler that, though sticky, will be able to squeeze out or in if and/or when the wood gets wet and expands, or gets dry and contracts. Linseed putty is one of these fillers. Posting this question on the WoodenBoat forum would probably get you better-informed and more nuanced answers to your question.

psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 03:05   #3

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
If you are opening up seams that have “started” to repaint them, it is important to use a soft filler that, though sticky, will be able to squeeze out or in if and/or when the wood gets wet and expands, or gets dry and contracts. Linseed putty is one of these fillers. Posting this question on the WoodenBoat forum would probably get you better-informed and more nuanced answers to your question.

Thanks for that, also at what point of time do you paint over the joints then, that has some linseed putty?

Just wondering that when the wood contracts, where does the putty go, or does the putty just crack through the paintwork?
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 05:17   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Forget the 180 grit if you are going to roll or brush the paint. 120 grit will be fine enough. PSK is right the wooden boat guys will have way better answers to your questions.
One thing if the plank fastenings are a little tired then you are always going to get movement in the plank seams. That’s just the joys of owning a boat that is made of a thousand individual pieces, thank goodness fibreglass was invented.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull