Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 21:35   #1

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
hunter 27 compression post

I have a 1981 h27 that has approxmately a 5/16" downward deflection on cabin sole under compression post. The solid post appears to be sound. There is no noticeable deflection at cabin top. I will be pulling boat out of water next 3 months. I am thinking that I should drop mast, change steaming and anchor lights to led's, and while mast is down lift cabin top and see what is happining at the sole. This boat has a very shallow bilge and where comp post rest is maybe 5" from underside of hull. Question? Does anyone out there know what is under post, steel, wood, fiberglass...? I know most of you will say dont worry about it or throw it away...not an option, this boat has been in my family since 1983 and is otherwise in better than new condition. It would be very helpful if anyone has knowledge of the build under post. thanks
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 20:26   #2

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1
Re: soft core under mast step.

This is because the mast is stepped atop cored deck material-- a common cost-cutting trick of this period. Before you go to much trouble 'recoring' the deck (which will not help the problem anyway, so long as where the mast steps is concerned), consider filling it with epoxy. This is what I did all over my deck and it's rock-solid.
[SIZE=3]
I wrote about repairing rotten cored decks in my blog; if the moderators will allow the link. It's a precise procedure but one which, if followed correctly, is simple and cost-effective to do. And it pretty much solves the problem for ever.

J Cherubini II
[FONT=Book Antiqua]
Yacht Diana, Burlington NJ
blog: Diana's blog
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, hunter