Onto the leading edge...
At first I was apprehensive at the thought of using kevlar, but it ended up not being any more difficult to work with than regular fiberglass
cloth. I staggered the lay up in stages to make things easier on myself and less time-sensitive in terms of cure windows (see pic below). I started with strips of 12.5 ounce biaxal approx 5ft long by 24in wide, wrapped lengthwise across the leading edge. I then used approx 24" long pieces of 10ounce kevlar from a roll of 6" kevlar tape and staggered them 3" apart on top of each other (essentially creating a double-layer of kevlar). I then wrapped another layer of 5'X24" biaxal over the top of the kevlar, then another 2.5'X24" layer of biaxal on top of that, followed finally by a thin layer of cabosil squeegeed on top. The kevlar is well buried and the cabosil allowed me to sand after the cure without taking away any of the biaxal, while also leaving the surface free of pinholes or voids.
A more pro job would have been to use peel ply throughout, but I had some difficulty with using peel ply and biaxal..the biaxal liked to snake out and leave voids underneath the peel ply when I squeegeed it out. Perhaps I should have used a finishing layer of regular cloth or s-glass on top of the biaxal to avoid this.
You can see in the below pic the lower section is cloudy from the cabosil top-layer and the upper more clear. I had not yet added the cabosil to the top section..
This is the stem finished and sanded, ready to be prepped for fairing compound..
I got rid of 5 thru-hulls and added one, making for a total 3 all within a few feet of each other on the portside: Kingston, raw-water sink intake, and sink drain. I removed 2 head
holes (went composting), 1 knotmeter
, 1 depth
(went in-hull depth
sounder), and 1 forward sink drain (two sinks in a 27' boat seems a bit silly).
the old thru-hulls, I made a sheet of biaxal about 1/4in thick from scraps and pressed between some weights while curing. I then cut to size with a hole-saw and sanded them until they fit snugly in their holes. Used the 12:1 bevel rule
to grind out the holes and cleaned the hell out of them with interlux
202 solvent. I then mixed a batch of 406-thickened epoxy and epoxied them in place before glassing over them.
I sanded away the paint
on the inside of the hull and laid three layers of 12.5ounce cloth down on the inside..
On the outside, I laid up enough biaxal to make up for the beveling, probably about 8 layers ranging from a diameter of 3" to 3'. Overkill! I laid the largest piece down first, then built back out from the smallest.