Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 13:52   #1
Registered User
 
wingless's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Posts: 487
Hull Repair Questions

The 1994 dinghy I just purchased has some gell coat damage and minor hull damage that needs repair.

What are my best choices to fix these problems?






__________________

__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer Mercruiser
454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp / Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:43   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,685
Re: Hull Repair Questions

If you search on the Sticky: Nauticat 52 refit posted by minaret, you will be able to see pictures of what can be done. If it is only a dinghy that's going to have a hard life, you may not feel it necessary to take it to the level of perfection minaret attained.

Ann
__________________

__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 22:59   #3
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hull Repair Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The 1994 dinghy I just purchased has some gell coat damage and minor hull damage that needs repair.

What are my best choices to fix these problems?








Hire a pro, unless you are just interested in learning to do your own glass work. If the latter, do a bit of research here and then ask away. The scrapes are no big deal, the glass repair is a bit more involved. In the end, the question is "can you color match"?
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 05:55   #4
Registered User
 
wingless's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Posts: 487
Re: Hull Repair Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Hire a pro, unless you are just interested in learning to do your own glass work. If the latter, do a bit of research here and then ask away. The scrapes are no big deal, the glass repair is a bit more involved. In the end, the question is "can you color match"?
Thanks for all the helpful information.

The gouges and the cracks were both repaired using the West Marine Rx Epoxy Repair Kit. The results are outstanding! I would not hesitate to recommend this product.

The entire hull was sanded using my Festool ETS 150/3 Fine Finish Sander w/ my Festool CT22 HEPA Dust Extractor to remove the surface blemishes. The Festool Titan 2 abrasives followed by the Festool Platin 2 abrasives removed all the scratches. This is an incredible tool that does an outstanding job! I highly recommend their products. (The wife was thrilled to have me sanding the new boat in the dining room last night. At least there is almost no mess w/ the vacuum system.)

The plan had been to spot touch up the gelcoat , but now I'm just going to do the whole dinghy, so that the color will be uniform. I am still going to match the existing color first. I am using Yellow and Brown Resin Coloring Agent to match the color.

The remaining bits of hardware and the teak keel have been removed to aid in the recoating. Good thing, I found the bolts retaining the drain plug flange had deteriorated.

There will be several layers of West Marine non-Waxed Laminating Gelcoat applied first.

The West Marine non-Laminating Finish Gelcoat will be applied as the top coat.
__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer Mercruiser
454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp / Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 08:24   #5
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hull Repair Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information.

The gouges and the cracks were both repaired using the West Marine Rx Epoxy Repair Kit. The results are outstanding! I would not hesitate to recommend this product.

The entire hull was sanded using my Festool ETS 150/3 Fine Finish Sander w/ my Festool CT22 HEPA Dust Extractor to remove the surface blemishes. The Festool Titan 2 abrasives followed by the Festool Platin 2 abrasives removed all the scratches. This is an incredible tool that does an outstanding job! I highly recommend their products. (The wife was thrilled to have me sanding the new boat in the dining room last night. At least there is almost no mess w/ the vacuum system.)

The plan had been to spot touch up the gelcoat , but now I'm just going to do the whole dinghy, so that the color will be uniform. I am still going to match the existing color first. I am using Yellow and Brown Resin Coloring Agent to match the color.

The remaining bits of hardware and the teak keel have been removed to aid in the recoating. Good thing, I found the bolts retaining the drain plug flange had deteriorated.

There will be several layers of West Marine non-Waxed Laminating Gelcoat applied first.

The West Marine non-Laminating Finish Gelcoat will be applied as the top coat.




Hmm. Why not just paint it? Polishing the whole hull is a ton of work for no good reason. Either do a normal repair, or shoot it. Much less work. Unless you are just trying to work on your gel coating skills...
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 09:03   #6
Registered User
 
wingless's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Posts: 487
Re: Hull Repair Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Hmm. Why not just paint it? Polishing the whole hull is a ton of work for no good reason. Either do a normal repair, or shoot it. Much less work. Unless you are just trying to work on your gel coating skills...
What am I missing?

It looks like application of the linked gelcoat products is similar to application of paint. How is this more difficult than painting?

The 11' hull is already sanded smooth, w/ all the nicks and gouges filled.

Doesn't the gelcoat provide the opportunity to repair future damage, like scratches, by sanding / polishing?

The desired final outcome is smooth, blemish-free, with uniform color. At this time the hull looks great, except for the scattered white marks from gouge and nick repair.

__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer Mercruiser
454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp / Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 13:25   #7
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hull Repair Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What am I missing?

It looks like application of the linked gelcoat products is similar to application of paint. How is this more difficult than painting?

The 11' hull is already sanded smooth, w/ all the nicks and gouges filled.

Doesn't the gelcoat provide the opportunity to repair future damage, like scratches, by sanding / polishing?

The desired final outcome is smooth, blemish-free, with uniform color. At this time the hull looks great, except for the scattered white marks from gouge and nick repair.




Gelcoat is almost impossible to spray a finish with-it's a gel. You must wet sand and polish it to a finish. Lots of work. It's designed to be sprayed in a mold. The mold provides the finish. If you've never done any gel work, I wouldn't recommend starting with shooting a whole dinghy. Of all the people who might recommend using gel for the reasons you mention, I'm at the top of the list. Just know what you're getting into. If you can get a good color match, you can gel just your repairs. Search the forum, I've made a number of posts on color matching at this point. It would save you a lot of needless work. Also, at 9.8 lbs per gallon, your boat already has plent of gel thickness, or should. Shooting the whole thing will add a not totally insubstantial amount of weight, as gel must be sprayed thick and in multiple coats. Your RO 150 would certainly speed the process, as would dry guide coat. But still a lot of unnecessary work.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 14:04   #8
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,252
I've had good luck just painting gel coat on. I would use a little bit less hardener so that it gives the gelcoat more time to settle ( letting brush lines disappear) before it kicks. Sorry I don't remember the exact amount of drops per ounce. Maybe someone can answer that because it's crucial . and also needs to be adjusted for temperature and humidity. It's been a long time since I've done it but I remember putting wax in the gel coat too I think it's for sanding
__________________

__________________
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repair Procedures - Fiberglass Hull Blisters Bernie Eskesen Construction, Maintenance & Refit 15 14-10-2011 14:23
Serious Hull Repair - Fiberglass Surgery Questions kta Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 21-12-2010 00:47
Tough Questions About Hull Repair... OrangeCrush Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 18-03-2010 00:34
hull repair? jerryscooper Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 31-10-2007 20:36
need VHF gelcoat repair and diesel repair converted to DVD schoonerdog General Sailing Forum 6 05-04-2007 20:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.