Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 10:34   #1

Boat: Luders 21
Hull Repaint Options Soling 27

Hey all I am looking at 1969 Soling, it is a good deal price wise but will require a little work. I would like to get it on the water this season in the next few weeks and am looking for advice.

The hull has paint localized flaking in a few spots. It was painted a few years ago, I am wondering if I can just sand those spots and do localized repair for this season? Then do a more permanent repair in the winter. I would be storing the boat in a freshwater lake.

The other option is to totally redo the bottom paint. In this case it depends on what product you use, VC17 would require everything to be stripped and interprotect 2000e to be applied. Very labor intensive, although necessary because there are a few spots of localized bubble but none are wet and all are less then a dime size.

The other redo option is to sand the spots that have chipped away paint and just sand the rest of the surfaces generally and overcoat the entire boat in antifouling paint like performance epoxy.

I uploaded a couple of pics to get your opinions. Let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel stop.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	80144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	80145  

Capcadet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Re: Hull Repaint Options Soling 27

Sand spots, repair with interprotect 2000 and then a fresh coat of VC-17 - I wouldn't bother doing the complete hull

I've done this with mine for the past 3 seasons as I have had some delamination of the coating
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

The one issue you're looking at depends on the condition of the existing paint, which is hard to really judge from the pictures. If the paint is "OK" but is flaking, you may find a lot of it coming off with the roller. In some respects it's easier to work this on a boat that has a bottom in *worse* condition because a good hard power wash takes almost everything that is poorly adhered right off, leaving a much easier sanding/repair/fairing process.

It's largely a matter of whether you want to do the work now or do the work later. And if you leave it until later it's going to be more work because then you have to get the paint you put on now, off, as part of the process. So it's a trade off...sail more now, most work later, or more work now but shorter sailing season. :\
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 16:42   #4

Hello. I might be a bit late, did it workout? I might have similar issues. Thank you so much. Regards
J_Teles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, paint