Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 17:39   #1

Boat: '66 Bristol 39
Hull pucker

Hi Gents, I have a situation on my boat and have seen it on others, the hull has an inward pucker at the starboard aft lower shroud chain plate. The boat is a 66 Bristol 39. The chain plates are inward of the toerail by several inches. At this location there is short partial stiffener, I assume plywood wrapped in glass. What would cause this condition? The best I can figure, is that the rigging has been over tensioned for a long time and eventually fatigued the glass in that location. Any thoughts on reason for condition, repair and or prevetion in the future would be appreciated, in advance.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:12   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Hull pucker

saw same on Gibsea 442 in the 90ies...
we found it too big a job to rectifie & left it (charterboat)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52   #3

If the chain plate was not lead straight in line with the shroud when originally installed it may have straightened itself out by bending the plastic hull. If the structure inside is still solidly attached, tension on the shroud is good and the turnbuckle for that part still has some space for adjustment then what advantage does a cure bring?

That all changes if you see it pumping while sailing and shroud tension cannot be maintained. In that scenario reinforcing the hull would be in order. A cure for a cause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjn59 View Post
Hi Gents, I have a situation on my boat and have seen it on others, the hull has an inward pucker at the starboard aft lower shroud chain plate. The boat is a 66 Bristol 39. The chain plates are inward of the toerail by several inches. At this location there is short partial stiffener, I assume plywood wrapped in glass. What would cause this condition? The best I can figure, is that the rigging has been over tensioned for a long time and eventually fatigued the glass in that location. Any thoughts on reason for condition, repair and or prevetion in the future would be appreciated, in advance.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:10   #4

Boat: no boat any more

on the GibSea we figured tierods going down to some floors would have been the way to go, it would have involved lots of laminating though & the rods would have been in the way quite a bit

Tags
hull, puck