Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 03:40   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Hull painting with Roller and Tipping

Aren't you glad you are not hand stripping the antifoul anymore!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 00:32   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
This week following my boat being sandblasted tomorrow, I'll be using the Norglass products consisting of 3 coats of two pac rust proof primer, then a coat of two pac top primer, fairing where needed, then another two pac high build primer.

When I do the top sides it will be a single pack gloss. Which I intend to put on with a roller and tipping using a paint brush. Two coats.

Can someone give me advice on what sort of roller to use with both paints? I know some rollers of foam will melt with the two pack products. The guy at Bunnings paint shop didn't seem to have a clue.
I'm not familiar with this particular brand of paint, but most manufacturers recommend 1 part paint over 1 part primer and 2 part over 2 part. (Else why have different primer formulations?)

Frankly, the paint manufacturer should have literature covering all of this on their website, including roller and brush recommendations.

Lastly, practice rolling and tipping on a scrap piece of tempered hard board (available at any lumber store), or similar material, at least one day before attempting the boat. If using 2 part, watch the temp, humidity, and dew point closely. If the temp is too low, the cure will be too long, and sags are inevitable. If you hit the dew point before full skin cure, she'll fog up and have to be sanded / recoated.

ramblinrod
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 01:29   #48

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Aren't you glad you are not hand stripping the antifoul anymore!

Hell yeah

I would not have ended up doing it though I was leading towards putting something on it for just a year to get it along to next year and then taking it to one of the three places and having it done professionally.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 01:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I'm not familiar with this particular brand of paint, but most manufacturers recommend 1 part paint over 1 part primer and 2 part over 2 part. (Else why have different primer formulations?)

Frankly, the paint manufacturer should have literature covering all of this on their website, including roller and brush recommendations.

Lastly, practice rolling and tipping on a scrap piece of tempered hard board (available at any lumber store), or similar material, at least one day before attempting the boat. If using 2 part, watch the temp, humidity, and dew point closely. If the temp is too low, the cure will be too long, and sags are inevitable. If you hit the dew point before full skin cure, she'll fog up and have to be sanded / recoated.

ramblinrod
About Sheen Marine
Yes, the manafacturer does have good literature covering these and they are good to phone too. I've been in pretty constant touch with them since beginning. The Norglass single pack paint is made to go over 2 part primers. It's designed that way. And for below the water line, 2 part is a much better product. But, in anycase, I'm using Northane, the 2 part top coat now anyway.

And thanks for the hint on practicing on a board first. I might do just that and watch the temps etc.
Old 17-11-2015, 01:36   #50

Well, day Two

The photo's will show that the topsides have come up really well too. But, alas, whilst none of it had any fairing (so far), the top sides are made from not quite as thick steel and when the sun is on the right angle you can see the stringers inside. I suspect it had so much paint on it, this disappeared. I think, I'll need to fair some parts of it. But it's no where near as bad as it looks in the photo.

They expect to finish the job tomorrow and then on Thursday the welder will be back to fix the holes we found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	113214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	113215  

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	113216  
Old 17-11-2015, 02:15   #51

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Great progress!

We've found the "hungry horse" look has disappeared after a bit of filler and about 16 coats of paint... I wouldn't worry about it

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 23:57   #52

Well, Kermit is no more. There is no more green 'anywhere' on my boat. I'll post some updated photos soon. But the sand blasters 1 1/2 days turned into three full days and 4 tonnes of sand. Two complaints today about the sand and noise. Some guy complained today that he's lost three days working on his boat. Well, tuff. Every year I have to hold off doing grinding work on my boat because of someone and their glass boat. So now it's my turn. And I offered to wash his boat but 'that's not the point' he said.
Old 18-11-2015, 00:43   #53

Ugh, there's always someone ready to have a whinge... you're working in a boat yard, right? Well that's what it is then... a boat *yard*, not a boat storage area. We had the same problems building Calypso with all the GRP folks around.... hey ho, the job's done now. Photos please!!!
Old 18-11-2015, 00:54   #54

There are five holes to repair. One into the bilge, one in the keel, very low, one into a rope locker, three separate ones into one of the forward bow lockers and the one that worries me the most is a small one under the engine.

But overall, it's come up great. Historically, I'm betting I'll be the last one to ever sand blast there I'm betting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	113251  
Old 18-11-2015, 00:57   #55

Some more
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	143
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	113252  
Old 18-11-2015, 01:00   #56

only letting me post one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	125
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	113253  
Old 18-11-2015, 01:02   #57

Last one I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	157
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	113254  
Old 18-11-2015, 01:57   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Ugh, there's always someone ready to have a whinge... you're working in a boat yard, right? Well that's what it is then... a boat *yard*, not a boat storage area. We had the same problems building Calypso with all the GRP folks around.... hey ho, the job's done now. Photos please!!!
Yeah that's right. The guy who's been complaining the most has a glass sail boat, but I'm not sure what his problem is as he went ahead and anti fouled today. Possibly just sick of the noise. But, the guy who complained the loudest directly to me, with about 15 minutes ago was angry because he reasons there are iron filings all over his very old decrepive fero motor cruiser. Which is not true. They are not iron, it's some sort of black sand. And I offered to wash his boat for him but then he said that's not the point. So, stuff him.
Old 18-11-2015, 03:58   #59
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Goodbye green frog, hello brown frog .

It will be nice to see the first coat of primer on it!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 05:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
But, the guy who complained the loudest directly to me, with about 15 minutes ago was angry because he reasons there are iron filings all over his very old decrepive fero motor cruiser. Which is not true. They are not iron, it's some sort of black sand. And I offered to wash his boat for him but then he said that's not the point. So, stuff him.
Sounds like grit from the sand blasting... I wouldn't worry, it comes off relatively easily (we're still finding it on our boat 3 years later ).

n

Tags
hull, hull paint, paint