Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 15:22   #1

Hull Paint and Cockpit Paint ?

Hello everyone. I am fixing up a O'day widgeon and I want to re-paint the hull and inside after I am done repairing the dents and cracks. I looked at the color options at west marine and I am not pleased with there choices. What other kind of paint can I use. Can I use exterior paint from home depot?
turkish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 15:33   #2

No.

Welcome to Awlgrip
Old 09-08-2010, 16:55   #3
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Saying no is just ridiculous and ill informed. Cheap paint from a home improvement store will last just as long as cheap paint that says "marine" on it.

Paint is one of those things where you generally get what you pay for, so if you want to low buck this task, your return on investment in time and materials will be short lived.

With just about all paints types you can mix custom colors, so color choices shouldn't be an issue.

The most durable paints are interestingly enough also the most costly. I'm working with some $400 per gallon stuff now and it's sweet flowing, high gloss retention, very durable, etc. It better be at that price. It's an LPU.

The least costly of the paint choices also will be the least durable, have moderate gloss retention, easily stained, etc. This would be the straight acrylics. This is also true of the straight alkyds, because of advances in acrylics in recent years.

If you want a half way decent paint job, stick with the single part, modified alkyds over a good primer base.

Paint jobs are 90% prep, so get it fair and smooth, lay down a healthy film thickness of good quality primer and your top coat will take care of it's self.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:22   #4

I have Awlgrip. Not very happy with it. It's a terrible grime magnet. Loves soot. If I had a full time boatboy it might be okay - but I don't. Awlgrip is also so shiny and hard it magnifies the tiniest damage while being very difficult to repair. Impractical for a busy cruiser. I was much happier with Brightsides.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:00   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
anyone else click the link for gelcoat that is the ad on this page? why don't people use gelcoat instead of paint?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:56   #6

thank you for all the replies. the boat is on a trailer and it will be garage kept and only left in the water on the weekends I use it. This is the reason I was thinking that regular home depot paint will be fine. Will home depot latex paint stick to epoxy?
Old 09-08-2010, 19:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
anyone else click the link for gelcoat that is the ad on this page? why don't people use gelcoat instead of paint?
They do. It is very expensive to apply.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 21:12   #8

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Sounds like you should go with the Interlux Brightsides. The stuff is stupid easy to apply, and while it's not the strongest paint in the world, it touches up easily.

It's also cheap.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 21:30   #9

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
If you are really looking for a less expensive option, lowes sells rustoleum marine paint. It can be color matched to any of the paint chip squares you choose.However, convincing the employee at counter may take some effort. It also comes in a semi-gloss-(just in case those repairs need a little help not being noticed). just do your research and find what type of paint best meets your budget, painting skills, and durability expectations. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-08-2010, 00:45   #10
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
If you insist on Lowes/Deopt paint, then use porch and deck enamel. It's generally harder then house paint. Also use the highest gloss you can. If you want flat or semi gloss, apply a top coat of this type of paint, but the high gloss is the most water proof and most durable.

Yes, you should prime over epoxy. Some acrylics will react over un-primed epoxy, not very often, but if you luck is like mine . . . Primer also serves other, important purposes besides improving adhesion.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:22   #11

thanks for the advice. I am looking for a cheaper alternative for the moment. few years down the line i may look into more durable and better options. thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 16:33   #12
PAR

If you use the cheap stuff now, you'll have to strip it off when it's time to upgrade to better stuff, which just makes it more costly when you do.
Old 04-09-2010, 18:29   #13

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I have Awlgrip. Not very happy with it. It's a terrible grime magnet. Loves soot. If I had a full time boatboy it might be okay - but I don't. Awlgrip is also so shiny and hard it magnifies the tiniest damage while being very difficult to repair. Impractical for a busy cruiser. I was much happier with Brightsides.

I guess it all depends on the paint job. My boat has awlgrip that believe it or not is 20 years old. It still looks great. Check this link:
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint