Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 18:29   #1

Hull Deck Seam Damaged and I Need Help

I have a 1985 Newport 27 MKIII and the previous owners kids had lost power and steering in a pretty bad storm and slammed against a concrete bridge. The starboard side rub rail showed some waves in it and when I was cleaning the hull I took a closer look at it. Well the seam appears to be damaged pretty bad and I need to know how and if it is worth it to repair. I would like to do all the work myself. The rubrail end cap on the transom has also been knocked off, exposing the fiberglass. I can see light coming in from underneath and I can feel a seam across the starboard half of the transom itself. Need help. Any books available? Thanks and I am a NEWB to the sailing world.
Karmacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:39   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Hull deck seam damaged and I need help

You can fix it, but it probably is not worth it unless you got the boat for free. Resale value is low unless you make the repair perfect, which is unlikely since you are not a professional. If you just want to go sailing, and don't care about selling the boat later, then by all means, fix it.

Mother earth will thank you for putting the old girl right, it keeps a new boat from being built.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:48   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Is there still structural integrity? In other words, does the deck still seem to be bonded to the hull? If so, my dear newb, there's a magical substance called 5200 that will take care of leakage problems. But don't even think about using this if the deck separates from the hull under pressure. At that point, you've got trouble.
Old 23-01-2012, 18:49   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Please, no bodges. Make it look good and perform well, or don't do it at all.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Karmacal.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:54   #6

You are lucky - you have a chance to do a "major" boat repair! Not too often this opportunity is available ... coupled with the attitude that you can do it yourself - excellent.

There are three types of hull-to-deck joints: internal, external, and overlap. Do some research to learn a little about general boat construction and figure out which hull-to-deck joint your boat has.

The most recommended book is "The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual" by Allan Vaitses, it is available at Amazon.com. I have not found that book specifically helpful with repairs and alterations I have made to my boat, but it taught me a lot about material choices, fiberglassing, and the possibilities and options available. (Knowledge gives you courage.) The most helpful thing on the planet is the WEST SYSTEM publication 002-550, "Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenance" manual. Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy (I am assuming you live in the USA.)

Although the hull-to-deck joint is the ONLY place on a boat I will advocate the use of 5200 I can't recommend it in your case - in time you may want to cut out your first repair and try again.

It would be great if you could post some pictures - those of us who do our own boat work get some sort of peverse enjoyment from other people's problems.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 11:05   #7

Re: Hull Deck Seam Damaged and I Need Help

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Thankfully I did get this boat for free and have fallen in love with the boat and sailing. the hull/deck seam apears to be external type. I will take pictures as soon as possible. It is in a wet slip so I will need to borrow one of the clubs Jr. racers and row out to take pictures this weekend. The laundry list on this boat is long but the hull deck seam and other ingress points such as the port side chain plate that had rotted the panel in the salon. I took this down last weekend and will make a new panel. Just ned to byuy some vinyl and plywood and cut to fit.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:38   #8

Boat: 33 MULTI-HULL

The mistake most people make is to not remove all the damage. Start with a saws all, then plan the repair, then get the grinder. If you look at the construction very carefully you will see ways to return it to original condition, as opposed to a very obvious repair. Poster above is right, if you want to learn and are going to take your time it is worth while (if only for the education), if this is something you plan on doing over a weekend, do not bother.
VISSIONQUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:55   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmacal View Post
Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Thankfully I did get this boat for free and have fallen in love with the boat and sailing. the hull/deck seam apears to be external type. I will take pictures as soon as possible. It is in a wet slip so I will need to borrow one of the clubs Jr. racers and row out to take pictures this weekend. The laundry list on this boat is long but the hull deck seam and other ingress points such as the port side chain plate that had rotted the panel in the salon. I took this down last weekend and will make a new panel. Just ned to byuy some vinyl and plywood and cut to fit.
It would help if we knew what type and size of boat you have. Close up pictures would be great too!
Old 24-01-2012, 13:06   #10

It is a 1985 Newport 27' MKIII. I will be removing the headliner, cabinets and pretty much everything that I can on the starboard side to see if I can repair from inside. I will start tonight and take pictures this wekend for you sickos that revell in another mans agony Also to tap into this vast wealth of experience you guys have.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:48   #11

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

We don't revell. We just giggle maniacally.. Besides, if you want to see pain, I can show you some of mine. I'm doing a complete gutting and refit.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 14:26   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some pics would help. If it is the typical hull-deck seam where the two overlap and have been glued/bolted together, the correct repair is to unbolt enough (often all) of that side of the deck, spread the joint so you can access it, clean it out, repair it, apply new sealant as needed, and then rebolt it. A fairly large job but the only way to do it right, so it won't need to be done again and it won't leak on you.

If the joint was originally glued or fiberglassed over, you may be able to just clean it out and apply new glass. Everything depends on the type of joint.

When you whack a boat into a large object, the shock can cause damage all over the boat. Take a good look at how the bulkheads or furniture are joind to the hull, the tabbing that connects them often breaks free after that kind of impact. And that's structural, you'd want to repair that as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 19:18   #13

The problem I have is the hull bottom and the deck top portion of the joint was summarily smashed against a bridge pylon and when I flick the rub rail with my thumb chunks of fiberglass flake away. With my stomach on the deck I pulled the rail away with my right hand, quite easily and pulled a 2" diam chunk of glass with my left. So my question is how does someone replicate the the deck portion of the seam and then the hull portion and them 5200 or just glass the two together from the inside? I will take pictures this weekend.
Old 24-01-2012, 19:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It would help if we knew what type and size of boat you have.
It appears someone has not been diligent about wearing his respirator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmacal View Post
So my question is how does someone replicate the the deck portion of the seam and then the hull portion and them 5200 or just glass the two together from the inside?
A perfect example of how men don't listen to women. Get the book and booklet I recommended and forget the 5200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Besides, if you want to see pain, I can show you some of mine.
My last husband complained constantly that I am married to my boat. One negative peep about me working on my boat from the next man in my life and I 'll just show him YOUR boat pics. Hahaha! - that'll shut him up. Your boat is much worse than mine. EXCELLENT!
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 19:56   #15

I printed this 80+ page monster and did not gleam a section in it specifying proper procedure to follow regarding an external hull/deck seam repair. Just hoping someone that had experience in this repair could give a few pointers.