Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
How To Seal Edges In A Cocktail Table

I got this nice size table off the "free table" at the marina and the Formica and edge trim look good. the size is perfect for my cockpit. But there is a gap where the edge trim meets and a small gap along the side. I "think" this needs to be sealed for permanent installation. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	93292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	93293  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28   #2

Re: how to seal edges in a cockpit table?

My guess is that outside trim is the type that pushes into a groove cut in the wood. As such, I would pull out the trim and seal the wood with epoxy... otherwise for outdoor use water will get in there and then swell the wood ruining the table.
The trim is readily available, or you could re-use what you have.... you may find when you reinstall it that it meets on the end... or not! If you replace it, let the table and new trim sit out in the environment you intend to have it in. so any shrinkage or expansion occur prior to cutting. I would cut it in cold weather rather than hot.
You could fill the gap with a hardening sealer like white 5200, or other type. Some sealers like 5200 will yellow slightly in the sun though.
When reinstalling the trim you could coat it all with sealant, wiping the edges clean prior to hardening.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is it made from wood, not something like Starboard?
I'd pull the trim back and look, if wood then what Cheechako said is your best bet, but I think water will eventually get in, if something like the Engineered wood made from sawdust, what's that called? If that then it's not going to last no matter what you do, even if water proof glue was used, in other words is it an inside table?

On edit, particle board?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29   #4

Boat: C&C Newport 41

An easier option would be to find a plastic edge coping at your local hardware store and 5200 it to the edge of the table.

You will have a less than perfect seem but for some pocket change you could have that sealed off and eliminate 99% of the risk of water intrusion to the table's core.

Something in the middle of the level of effort spectrum would be...

If the formica (or whatever it is) surface is also on the underside of the table, you could cut out a 6"*6" section of the material, grind it to dust and mix that dust into a paste with clear epoxy. The result would be an apply-able putty you could use to fill the cut / cracks with a very close match.

NOTE: if you dont use clear, the epoxy will defiantly yellow over time.

The area you cut out can be lathered up with epoxy or glassed or whatever.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:30   #5

Boat: Grampian 26

Run a knife in between the table and the edge and squirt in some gorilla glue with a syringe.A small bead will do the trick,press edge to table and let dry.
Remove excess with chisel or knife.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:38   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Thanks all for the suggestions. It is intended to be a permanent exterior table and the base is plywood, not wafer board nor particle board. Next trip down I will pull off the trim and likely seal the edges with epoxy and then warm up the trim, join and pin the 2 ends and let the rest stretch around. I suspect that any yellowing will not be visible. I never looked closely at what the new cats use for cockpit tables. This was just the right size for my cockpit so want to make it work.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 15:22   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How To Seal Edges In A Cocktail Table

Since it's plywood you have a real good chance by sealing it with Epoxy, don't forget to seal any mounting holes with 5200 or similar, even though they may be on the bottom, can't hurt.
Get a cover for it and cover it in in climate weather too, no need to let it soak for hours in the rain
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 17:06   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. It is intended to be a permanent exterior table and the base is plywood, not wafer board nor particle board. Next trip down I will pull off the trim and likely seal the edges with epoxy and then warm up the trim, join and pin the 2 ends and let the rest stretch around. I suspect that any yellowing will not be visible. I never looked closely at what the new cats use for cockpit tables. This was just the right size for my cockpit so want to make it work.
Ed
I think you have a good plan.

Tags
cockpit