Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-01-2012, 19:37   #16

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: How to Remove Wooden Bungs to Expose Screws

Two more tips for you. I recently purchases a multi tool, you know, the kind that becomes a set of pliers with multiple bits in the handle? One of those bits turned out to be a pick, with a straight back edge, and a thin vee form such that it goes from 0 at the point to about 1/8 wide at the attachment point over a distance of about 1 and a quarter inches. I find that if I drill out the bung, and then force this point down into the bung with its straight back edge against the side of the hole, I can pry toward the center of the hole without breaking or denting the woodwork.

A second thing to remember is that if you do strip the head beyond repair, you can drill it off with a 1/4 inch drill bit. Find the center and drill down til the head comes off. Then you can gently pry the woodwork loose by placing a thin pry bar and lifting so the wood work lifts off the screw shaft, Once the wood is removed, pull the screw with a pair of vice grips. This process is similar to drilling out rivets on an aircraft skin.

SV Sabre Dance, Roberts Offshore 38
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Great Post,a footnote,I,have just removed probably a hundred or so buns,When the screw is exposed I,found a Mechanics Pick,worked well to clean the slot so a screw driver could be inserted,also it will get behind the small outer ring of the Bun and pop it out.

casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:29   #18

Another tidbit of info. Somewhere on this thread it is mentioned that it looks much more professional if the grain of the bung lines up with the grain of the wood it is placed in. That is very correct UNLESS the hole is close to the edge of the wood. The expansion rate (swelling) of a bung is at 90 degrees to its grain, so if the hole to be filled doesnt have much wood outside of it, you should put the bung with the grain at 90 degrees to the wood you are placing it in. Lapstrake boats are always pluged with the bungs at 90 degrees because the fasteners are near the edge of the plank. I hope this helps._____Grant.
gjordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:59   #19

The clutch function on a quality cordless screwgun can be used much as a rotary hammer to back out screws with little threat of stripping the head of the screw. Start with it at it's weakest setting so that you can easily stop rotation with hand pressure. Insert the driver blade or bit in the screw, and while starting at a pretty slow speed gradually turn the clutch adjustment until the screw backs out. Vibration causes rotation - that's why srews and bolts loosen up anyway.This method insures good control. Proper size of screwdriver blade or bit is, of course, critical.
AbelCMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 16:08   #20

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

I used a Forstner bit,dental picks,1/2" chisel,sharpened screw driver,and 3/8 drill bits. I think I invented a few new descriptive words when I r/r all decking and toe rails on my 35' wood Chris Craft. I made my own new plugs from scraps of the same wood I made the decking from they almost could not be seen.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 16:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

I have replaced a lot of bungs in my life, especial in Teak. My method is as follows.

First I take a cabinet scraper and bring the the surface to bare wood.

Then I take a machine punch about 75% of the diameter of the bung, and center it and give a sharp blow, this breaks any bond typically.

Then I use a drywall screw with the head snipped off chucked into a cordless drill. Use on slow low torque, and screw into the center of the bung. Now either the bung will back out or the screw will strip out the bung. Without damage to the underlying screw or the wood around the bung.

If the bung fails to remove it's self. Then my next operation is a forstner bit with the pilot ground off. I have an 3/8 thick SS plate machined to the fosrtner bit sizes which is 2" x 3" on the back side I have 80 grit sandpaper glued. Then I just center the guide on the bung and drill out the offending bung.

Going back make your new bungs with the tightest vertical gain wood of same species. Less swelling. Never drive the new bung to bottom end, as it will end up standing proud after you refinish do to swelling.

Use varnish or shellac to set the new bungs.

FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 17:49   #22

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

Wow, Lloyd has that down to a science!

billr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: