Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 07:13   #1

How to Remove PoliGlow

I used Easy Off oven cleaner. It worked like a charm. Two and a half cans to do my 30 foot Catalina. Used a Scotchbrite scrubby and had the entire boat done in around 2 hours.

It's fairly nasty stuff so wear long rubber gloves but it really does work incredibly well.
womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:16   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: How to Remove PoliGlow

I thought Poligrow had a cleaner/remover for it.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:27   #3

They do but it's expensive and many folks say it doesn't work.
Old 01-05-2017, 19:46   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we were using it, it worked adequately. I can imagine there might be certain stains it might not address, but for just normal use, it worked well.

I don't like using caustics, though, only when there's no alternative.

Ann
Old 02-05-2017, 04:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, womble.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:19   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Why did you remove it? It's been spectacular on my c30.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:35   #7

It looked awful!!!! Chalky and you could scratch it off with your fingernails.

Also, it's basically mop 'n glow with UV inhibitors. Has no place on a boat IMHO.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:47   #8

Boat: Carver 356

When I bought my boat, it had a Poliglow competitor product on it that had not been kept up with and the boat looked awful. I used the Poliglow stripper and it did great. I think I did my 34 footer in an hour.

In defense of Poliglow, I have some marina neighbors that use it and have for years. They stay on top of it and their boats always look good.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:16   #9

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Yep, used it on my Bayliner 2452 and loved it . . . . took a while and some blood, sweat and beers to get it ready to be applied but after about the 4th coat, it was looking good . . . . 4 more coats and it was beautiful! Easier to keep that way than using wax on-wax off . . . I've done both. Tape off what you don't want covered . . . did the whole boat on a weekend, from the first "wax removal session" to the final "moist mitt streak" . . . go slowly and even the non-skid can get done nicely! (if you go fast, you entrain bubbles in the mix)
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:17   #10

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Thanks for bringing this up. The PO put poliglow over an awlgrip paint job on the top sides. It looks awlful now, chaulky. So does it have to be removed now, is what I was thinking, or would a new application bring it back to life? Also, I have topside frp and paint to repair, can I remove in areas for repair and leave the rest, then apply a new coat to the whole boat, what ya think?
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If it's flaking or chalky it was applied over a tainted surface. Has to be absolutely clean. It's all in the prep. I've had it for four years and it's great. Other boats have had it longer and that looks great too.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:41   #12

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Like Tetepare said above - I'm assuming that the prep work was done properly. You need to remove ALL the previous wax jobs and use the scrubee and the powder removal stuff . . smear the powder on and into the scrubee or it will fall off easily (off the scrubee)
Don't have a good answer for your question about the Awlgrip . . . . sounds like it was put on too quickly (like before the Awlgrip cured properly) . . . I'd call Poli-Glo and ask them . . . they have a pretty good customer service dept. As far as the specific areas, yeah, I'd remove before you do the work and then when it's all done, go back and apply at least 6 coats . . . it goes on and dries so quickly that it doesn't take much time at all . . . . sounds like a long time but it goes quick (drink a beer in between).
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:03   #13

Boat: ODAY 28

Yes PoliGlow has a stripper, used it and it worked OK for me. they also make a prep. which is a cleaner,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 22:10   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjn59 View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. The PO put poliglow over an awlgrip paint job on the top sides. It looks awlful now, chaulky. So does it have to be removed now, is what I was thinking, or would a new application bring it back to life? Also, I have topside frp and paint to repair, can I remove in areas for repair and leave the rest, then apply a new coat to the whole boat, what ya think?
In my opinion, applying PoliGlow over Awlgrip is absolute blasphemy.

I really dislike any clear acrylic overcoat, even on gelcoat.

I know some boaters like it.

I repair and restore gelcoat and apply Awlgrip (and pretty much all marine finishes) for a living.

I take a lot of pride in the appearance of my personal and customer boats.

I tried an acrylic coating many years ago, and after I got (most) of it off the next year, vowed I would never use it again.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 23:23   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
In my opinion, applying PoliGlow over Awlgrip is absolute blasphemy.

I really dislike any clear acrylic overcoat, even on gelcoat.

I know some boaters like it.

I repair and restore gelcoat and apply Awlgrip (and pretty much all marine finishes) for a living.

I take a lot of pride in the appearance of my personal and customer boats.

I tried an acrylic coating many years ago, and after I got (most) of it off the next year, vowed I would never use it again.
Well, Rod, I quite understand that you'd like such folks to come to your shop and have their gelcoat restored, and I'm quite ready to believe that you can make it look way better than Poli-Glow can.

But, there just might be a small difference in the cost of such treatments. On our previous boat we used P-G on thirty year old gelcoat, a surface that was quite porous, and which resisted the usual cut and polish as applied by amateurs during a short term slipping. It didn't look as good as new or newly restored gel, but it looked a hell of a lot better than untreated... and it only took us around 8 hours total labour and less than 50 AUD to get there. And the renewal was even quicker the next year.

Some folks, especially cruisers who are actively sailing, don't want to spend the time or money on perfection of appearance in an older boat. For such folks, P-G and its ilk are useful and welcome.

No experience with using it over LPU finishes, and no comments to make on the subject.

Jim