Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 12:00   #1

Boat: Catana 471
How to re-attach fuel tank internal baffle

I pulled the inspection port on my diesel tank this weekend, and discovered that one of the internal tank baffles had broken loose. The tank is aluminum, and was built with two baffles.. one transverse, and one fore-and aft. The fore-and-aft one, was originally welded with a few short welds on both ends -- one end welded to the inside of the back wall of the tank, and the other end welded to the transverse baffle (which is still fine). All of these welds have broken off, so the baffle is just floating/flopping freely inside the tank. See pic attached.

I suppose I could cut it in pieces and remove it through the inspection port, but I'm inclined to try to reattach it somehow. So the question is, what's the best way to reattach it? The end connected to the transverse baffle is easy... can just drill and join using aluminum angle. But how do I attach the other end to the back wall of the tank? Epoxy some aluminum angle to the tank wall and drill/bolt the baffle to that? Clickbond studs? Something else?

Or cut it out and replace with something else... is there flexible baffle material that would work?

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank baffles - annotated 800x600.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	178986  
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 14:02   #2

Re: How to re-attach fuel tank internal baffle

Get a welder to re-weld with more attachment points It looks totally accessible, either with mig or stick ! the inside 1 would be a pain position wise, but doable !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 14:10   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Glue it back in place with PRC aircraft fuel tank sealant. Get the 1/2 hr stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 18:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Glue it back in place with PRC aircraft fuel tank sealant. Get the 1/2 hr stuff.
I'd heard of this stuff, but never would have thought to use it as an adhesive. Is it really that good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Get a welder to re-weld with more attachment points It looks totally accessible, either with mig or stick ! the inside 1 would be a pain position wise, but doable !
I was hoping not to have to get the tank completely vapor free, but maybe that really is the best option.

Anyone have suggestions re other adhesives, or opinions (good or bad) re the weldmount or clickbond studs?
Old 15-10-2018, 18:44   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

PRC is that good. It is totally bad ass.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 19:39   #6

Weld, and check locations of where the welds failed on the tank walls as is may need some filling in at those.spots
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 04:08   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

While welding or gluing may or may not be cheaper and/or quicker/easier, a mechanical fix might possibly be more permanent.

Something along the lines of A, or even more easily, B, especially if you're already procuring aluminum angle to attach the original baffle. Use either heavy rivets or stainless bolts and nylocs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	baf.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	179039  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 09:31   #8

@Jimbunyard: Thanks Jim, and nice sketch! My initial inclination was to go with mechanical plus some gluing, since unlike welding, I'm actually capable of doing that myself. Your version A looks simple and certainly effective for the connection where the two baffles meet. How would you do the connection where the fore-and-aft baffle meets the back wall of the tank (the dashed line in your sketch)?

I'm not sure I understand version B. The transverse baffle (the one with the holes in it in your sketch) is still securely welded in place. I might be missing something and misunderstanding your suggestion.

@Mike D. and Stainless Guy: I've never done any welding, so this is probably a really dumb question... but how tricky is it to weld to the inside walls of the tank without screwing up and either burning through or causing a crack? The tank can't be removed without cutting out a large area of the foredeck, so I would hate to make matters worse by attempting a weld repair and somehow causing additional damage that can't be fixed with the tank in place.

Maybe another way to ask the question is: do I need to find a an especially talented welder to make sure this doesn't get screwed up, or is this an easy job that any welder can do?

Thanks!
Old 16-10-2018, 12:19   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'm often guilty of assuming others see the same thing I see, so a little more explanation and a more explicit drawing.

I don't know which end is which, so we'll call the transverse baffle aft and the either A or B attachments forward.

My suggestion is to anchor the aft end of the fore and aft (detached) baffle to the transverse baffle with a piece of, say 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle of the appropriate length and (I'd prefer) 10-24 machine screws and nylocs, while the forward end is held in place laterally by the tight fit of either the new baffle A or the 'frame' B, which would also be fastened (to the fore/aft baffle only, not the tank sides) with 10-24 screws and nylocs. Of course if you went with the 'A' option you'd have to either add a piece of angle or break a flange onto the new baffle so you had something to bolt onto.

Me, I'd go with 'B' for simplicity, would take about as long to describe it as to do it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	baf.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	179086  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 12:33   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Since it appears to have complete access, drain it and find s good welder. He well know when it is save. Probably just using a fan would do it, if all fuel has been sopped out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 13:03   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've been around welders who thought they could weld on something that was not clean and gas free, not just drained. If you are lucky you will burn the boat to the waterline or rupture the tank. If you are not lucky someone could die. And it will be YOUR fault. It is against every code and is negligent to even suggest.

I've seen these things blow up. The heat generates fumes. Strongly worded, no doubt, but I've seen the aftermath too many times to be polite. Don't even think it.

[licensed API tank inspector]

BTW, those welds are horribly sub-standard for tank construction. I would not recommend a repair without a better understanding of the tank. Just removing the baffle is a problem; this leaves the transverse baffle unsupported, and if it is poorly welded, it will come loose.
Old 16-10-2018, 15:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've been around welders who thought they could weld on something that was not clean and gas free, not just drained. If you are lucky you will burn the boat to the waterline or rupture the tank. If you are not lucky someone could die. And it will be YOUR fault. It is against every code and is negligent to even suggest.
Thanks Drew, but I think you misunderstood one of my comments above. I would never ask or allow anyone to weld in the vicinity of a tank that's not gas free. If we choose to do a weld repair, it'll be done safely.

However, I'm still interested in ideas for re-attaching the baffle using adhesives and/or mechanical fasteners, specifically to avoid having to clean the tank. That's why I asked for thoughts and advice re epoxy, clickbond studs etc. I'm betting you have more than passing knowledge about both of those... lousy ideas? good ideas? Any advice re how to do it properly?
Old 16-10-2018, 16:47   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Thanks Drew, but I think you misunderstood one of my comments above. I would never ask or allow anyone to weld in the vicinity of a tank that's not gas free. If we choose to do a weld repair, it'll be done safely.

However, I'm still interested in ideas for re-attaching the baffle using adhesives and/or mechanical fasteners, specifically to avoid having to clean the tank. That's why I asked for thoughts and advice re epoxy, clickbond studs etc. I'm betting you have more than passing knowledge about both of those... lousy ideas? good ideas? Any advice re how to do it properly?

The comment was not directed at you.

It's a real puzzler. Angle and bolts would be great for the center, far better than original and not too difficult. But fixing it to the tank wall is puzzling. I would vote for a VERY good cleaning and then bonding in place with one of the flexible fuel compatible agents (filet both sides), as suggested. I've had refinery success with stationary tanks, but I'm just not sure about a baffle in a boat. But If the tank cannot be removed, that is what I would try. Really, really clean the bond area.
Old 16-10-2018, 17:21   #14

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

how about cutting a slot in the top of one baffle and a slot in the top of one baffle and a corresponding slot in the bottom of another so that one slots into the other...….rather like an ice cube tray......no welding.....no adhesives.....reinforce with angle and rivets if thought necessary...….
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 17:26   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Trap it between two angles which you rivet to the back of the tank (provided you can get to the outside to expand the rivets. Wonderful things rivets, alloy airplanes are still riveted together.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank