Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2015, 15:28   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: How to keep rain from deck holes while rebedding?

To be clear, the advantage of butyl over tape is that it will make a waterproof seal even on nonskid. Even on a molded diamond or other skid pattern. Tape won't do that. It has trouble even with aggregate skid. Fine for smooth, not so hot for a deck.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 16:37   #17

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
To be clear, the advantage of butyl over tape is that it will make a waterproof seal even on nonskid. Even on a molded diamond or other skid pattern. Tape won't do that. It has trouble even with aggregate skid. Fine for smooth, not so hot for a deck.
True, fortunately my non-skid is mostly worn away. (unfortunate when I'm not careful moving about on wet decks)

If anyone does some experimenting with butyl alternatives (molding clay, putty, playdoh) and finds one that sticks well, doesn't disintegrate in the rain, and is easy to remove without staining, I'd be curious to hear the results.

Old 09-10-2015, 18:38   #18

Landscape supply places sell rolls of cheap grey butyl, it's meant to stick unilock cap stones to retaining walls, I pay about 5$ for 25'. I find it handy to keep a roll on board for stuff, keep the good butyl for bedding hardware. Amazing how many uses you can come up with for the stuff. Last use for some was stiffening up the hinge on my gps mount so it wouldn't move in rough conditions.
Old 09-10-2015, 19:34   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Landscape supply places sell rolls of cheap grey butyl, it's meant to stick unilock cap stones to retaining walls, I pay about 5$ for 25'. I find it handy to keep a roll on board for stuff, keep the good butyl for bedding hardware. Amazing how many uses you can come up with for the stuff. Last use for some was stiffening up the hinge on my gps mount so it wouldn't move in rough conditions.

Yep. Almost every item on my boat which appears to be sitting on a desk or tabletop loose is actually stuck down with butyl. All sorts of stuff, decorative and functional, from flower vases to speakers. It looks like stuff will fall over when the boat heels, but it doesn't.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 20:24   #20

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Frost King plastic tape, usually found among window insulation supplies at Home Depot and Lowe's is great for some of the applications discussed in this thread. It is used to tape plastic sheeting over windows, especially for winter. About 6$ a roll. I have been using it for years in epoxy applications. Epoxy doesn't bond with the clear tape, which is relatively thick compared to typical clear packing clear tape. I used it on the bottom of cored out stanchion holes that were filled with epoxy for relocating holes for different stanchions. Tape holds fast and peels away without bonding dot the epoxy. I've used it as a border tape on some large epoxy projects to prevent spillover. Perfect. Works great with paint too. I peel it after the epoxy has gelled/set. Thin applications, I've removed a few days later without problems.

That said, heat shrink tape is equally good in these applications. However, neither tape is good for 8 months of exposure to uv. But several weeks is ok.

I've been using both types of tape for masking for applying Interlux 2000 as a coating in covered lockers, bilges, engine compartment,and on the deck as a primer for two-part paints.

BTW, after experimenting with a variety of paints for the above locations, I found that Interlux 2000 is a terrific one-paint-nearly does it all. Fast dry, multiple coats in a single day, and tough as nails. And it is available in white (an off white).

Roger
Old 10-10-2015, 14:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
It's the rainy season where I live (for the next 8 months) and I'm overdue to fix some leaking deck fittings and rebed the rest just for peace of mind.

I'm epoxy potting most fasteners, so that means I need to leave the hole open overnight for the epoxy to cure.

Sometimes I need to leave it more than 2 days because I don't have 2 adjacent days I can do work. So there's a high chance of rain at some point.

I know people cover open port holes with seran wrap, ziplocks and such, but with deck holes, the water will easily run down the deck and under the plastic, probably even if the edges are duct taped down.

How do you cover deck holes?

I could make a ring of putty / clay around the hole to divert water, and then lay plastic over that.

But what's a good cheap putty that will stick to fiberglass?

My butyl tape world work great but it's not cheap and I don't want to waste it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Put a big cooking pot over the top. Or take it to Southern California. "It never rains in Southern California" especially lately.
Old 10-10-2015, 19:55   #22

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
It's the rainy season where I live (for the next 8 months) and I'm overdue to fix some leaking deck fittings and rebed the rest just for peace of mind.

I'm epoxy potting most fasteners, so that means I need to leave the hole open overnight for the epoxy to cure.

Sometimes I need to leave it more than 2 days because I don't have 2 adjacent days I can do work. So there's a high chance of rain at some point.

I know people cover open port holes with seran wrap, ziplocks and such, but with deck holes, the water will easily run down the deck and under the plastic, probably even if the edges are duct taped down.

I could make a ring of putty / clay around the hole to divert water, and then lay plastic over that.

as far as a putty goes, go to home despot and ask for dumbo. it will be in the electrical section. it is a block of gray putty that is used to plug penetrations in a house's exterior, like where wires from the outdoor unit enter the basement. it is very sticky and can be removed as it stays in putty form. i have used it to seal leaky portlights until i got the chance to fix them properly.
Old 10-10-2015, 20:48   #23

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

I found I cold buy Butyl calk in tubes pretty cheap on Amazon.

Can you use a tarp over a general area? Seems like the thing to do if you are not under way.

Tags
bed, deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: