Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2009, 07:37   #1

How to gasket/seal an alcohol marine stove.

I took apart the Kenyon alcohol stove on my S2 to clean it and get it back in working order and I noticed there were some gaskets on it that looked almost like cardboard. I have searched all over the internet trying to find out what they were and how I can get replacements but I have had no luck.

I can take a picture and post it here if it would help. Is there any reason I can't use regular old pipe tape to seal up the stove? It's not like it's a high-pressure gas stove so I would think it would work, but I'd rather not take chances when it comes to flammable liquids.

Thanks.
Eihli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 07:54   #2

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
get rid of it...we had a huge galley fire while anchored, caused by the failure of the check valve under the handpump located between the burners. The pressurized alcohol shot up over a foot above the stove while cooking and ignited. Burned through a heavy wet towel I threw on it in a couple of seconds. If not for the fire-extinguisher, I am convinced we would have lost the boat. BTW, we used this stove for 10 years with no problems or leaks. This happened with no warning. Replaced it with a new two-burner Origo. It is much safer, works great and being non-pressurized, a lot more peace of mind.... and no pumping!
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals