Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 17:31   #1
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Hi everyone

I'm trying to build a DIY generator / compressor / pressure washer / Watermaker

I Scored a Yanmar 2tvt70 2 cyl 12hp motor it came out of a blackrock (no longer made) Semi-truck APU with only 5 hours on it and came with a 110v generator head

But I keep getting stuck and the most fundamentally basic levels; such as I need a crankshaft pulley to drive a 8 groove belt and a tensioner

I've tried calling Thermo-king and dynasys which seem like they have a similar if not exact same setup; but so far have completely stuck out

It's frustrating because I just know there are 5 applicable pulleys sitting in my local autozone; but I have zero ability to cross reference anything and make it fit

So far I've found out the motor has an "SAE #6" flywheel but I haven't been able to figure out what that means in relation to any other part I know that John Deere probably makes some piece of equipment that has the exact pulley I need but you call the parts department and they have no ability to look anything up w/o a P/n

Anybody able to clue me in as to how to find a part like that?
__________________

__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 17:41   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 704
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Question? Are you building a generator only or are you trying to build everything you mentioned into one unit?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 17:44   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Posts: 378
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

You are going to have do some homework. In addition to finding pulleys that will fit you are going to need to calculate what pulley sizes you will need for the various things you'll be running. And how to connect/disconnect them when you don't a certain piece of gear. You definitely do not want to run a compressor at the same time you are, say, generating, unless you are only putting a small load on the generator.

The compressor will need an unloader to protect against overpressure and compressor damage.

You're also going to need to design/fab mounts for all this gear.

McMaster Carr is a good source for a wide variety of pulleys. There are adapters that allow them to mount on a variety of shafts.

I did this with a diesel powered welder and air compressor I needed to build my boat. It worked out well. I wish you luck with yours.
__________________
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 22:42   #4
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Question? Are you building a generator only or are you trying to build everything you mentioned into one unit?
One unit (see below)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
You are going to have do some homework. In addition to finding pulleys that will fit you are going to need to calculate what pulley sizes you will need for the various things you'll be running. And how to connect/disconnect them when you don't a certain piece of gear. You definitely do not want to run a compressor at the same time you are, say, generating, unless you are only putting a small load on the generator.

The compressor will need an unloader to protect against overpressure and compressor damage.

You're also going to need to design/fab mounts for all this gear.

McMaster Carr is a good source for a wide variety of pulleys. There are adapters that allow them to mount on a variety of shafts.

I did this with a diesel powered welder and air compressor I needed to build my boat. It worked out well. I wish you luck with yours.
Thanks; I actually looked at McMaster but I can't seem to figure out the difference between SK or DF or whatever Bushings; much less figure out if it will even fit the flywheel

I think I have a lead on a local source (Maguire Bearing) where someone maybe able to hold my hand a little; but so far the total extent of the project is that I have a generator head with a 3- 1/4" sheave on it and I think can figure out how to do the calculations to convert the motor's 1800 RPM into 3600 required by the genhead

But that's where I get totally stuck; I can't even seem to find "A" pulley that will fit the flywheel much less trying to pick a size and then to confuse even more I need to replace what's on the gen with an electric clutch so like you said I can pick and choose what is being powered


So just for example; @ Mcmaster carr I think I can use one of these 10 groove pulley's to drive the 8 groove genny McMaster-Carr

But then it says JA or SH bushings but when I look at bushings I see nothing that looks like pic below McMaster-Carr


I found an old manual for the APU so basically I have the motor; and the gen head in this pic and that's it

PaulS I want to do similar to you; I have a steel boat I am currently refitting; and ideally it'd be nice to have a stand alone 220 power for welding and a compressed air as part of the boat's systems instead of separate gas powered portables I have now And then eventually I'd like to fab up a pressure washer that can blast the anchor chain when it comes up or change a valve and have it run a watermaker But for now I'd just like to mount the motor in a frame and get the genhead running kinda like the picture
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 00:19   #5
Zai
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Athens
Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Posts: 144
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

I've built such a system, but without the extra engine. I made a bracket to hang a hydraulic pump on the main (with an electric clutch). Then placed the compressor, generator, washdown pump in various locations using solenoid valves to control on off.
__________________
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 11:06   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Posts: 378
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Regards the difference between SK, SF, etc bushings, if you go to www.mcmaster.com and enter the QD (quick disconnect) bushing section there will be a link to drawings, dimensions for all these things. Basically, all these are easy to use clamp type bushings that allow you to mount a pulley onto a shaft. The pulley will have a tapered hole at its center which is sized for a particular size of bushing (ie SK, SD, SF, whatever). You buy the pulley you need, the pulley will specify what type mounting bushing it is made for. You also buy one of those bushings which has an inside diameter to match the shaft you are mounting it on. Note - the bushings are also made with and without keyways. If you have a keyway on the shaft get a bushing with a keyway, and get a key too.

Pulleys are also, of course, made that do not use these adapter bushings. In that case the pulley is machined to match the shaft it mounts on. This is also simple - measure the shaft and buy the pulley to match it, and a key for the keyway.

Mcmaster almost always has drawings and specs for what it sells. They are helpful.
__________________
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 21:33   #7
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Regards the difference between SK, SF, etc bushings, if you go to www.mcmaster.com and enter the QD (quick disconnect) bushing section there will be a link to drawings, dimensions for all these things. Basically, all these are easy to use clamp type bushings that allow you to mount a pulley onto a shaft. The pulley will have a tapered hole at its center which is sized for a particular size of bushing (ie SK, SD, SF, whatever). You buy the pulley you need, the pulley will specify what type mounting bushing it is made for. You also buy one of those bushings which has an inside diameter to match the shaft you are mounting it on. Note - the bushings are also made with and without keyways. If you have a keyway on the shaft get a bushing with a keyway, and get a key too.

Pulleys are also, of course, made that do not use these adapter bushings. In that case the pulley is machined to match the shaft it mounts on. This is also simple - measure the shaft and buy the pulley to match it, and a key for the keyway.

Mcmaster almost always has drawings and specs for what it sells. They are helpful.
Thank you; if you see the center of the picture above; there is no shaft at all; the pulley has an extended ring that sits in the flywheel which I think is important to keep it centered and then it's attached via 6 bolts I have a feeling I will have to have something machined



I didn't make any progress at all today; but I do have to brag a little bit

Today I bought a Boston whaler Squall in like new condition for $1300 and got with it a very good cond recent honda 2.5 4 stroke a minn-kota electric trolling motor with a new Grp 24 and a small trailer

-AND-

When we were loading it in the van the guy was admiring the little yanmar and when I explained what I wanted to do he says to me" Hey I have a Cat High Pressure pump you might like

Takes me to the garage and whips out a BRAND NEW one of these:
World Leader in Triplex High Pressure Pumps

How much you want for it?

"$100"


Ummmmm yeah OK and then in my head said "Whhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I am a little worried 700 PSI won't be enough though?? Any thoughts about that oh wise ones?
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:23   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Posts: 378
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

700 PSI for what?
__________________
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:38   #9
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
700 PSI for what?
Watermaker

So far the only DIY watermaker I've seen says you need 1000 PSI
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:38   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,352
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

I would be careful attaching a long 8 groove pulley extended out from the flywheel like that. Forces toward the end of the pulley will be deflecting it off center, as the engine rotates this may become harmonically out of balance and cause failure. If you try it DO NOT use aluminum, as it deflects at much lower forces than steel. I've had a 3 groove aluminum one fail that was made in the same manner. An end support/bearing would be very nice.
I guess I'm unclear what all you are trying to add to it? Possible to use electric clutches and less belts?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:41   #11
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would be careful attaching a long 8 groove pulley extended out from the flywheel like that. Forces toward the end of the pulley will be deflecting it off center, as the engine rotates this may become harmonically out of balance and cause failure. If you try it DO NOT use aluminum, as it deflects at much lower forces than steel. I've had a 3 groove aluminum one fail that was made in the same manner. An end support/bearing would be very nice.
What's the alternative? put a coupling onto the flywheel into a shaft that's supported by an end bearing? it would take a lot more space but in many ways might 'fix' my can't find the sprocket problem
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:58   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the hook in Florida
Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Posts: 504
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
So far the only DIY watermaker I've seen says you need 1000 PSI
Not true. Filmtec membranes are rated at 1000psi max and speced at 800psi. I run my DIY watermaker with a Filmtec SW30-2540 membrane at 820 to 840psi.
__________________
Trying to live on 20th century money in the 21st century.
jcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:25   #13
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

If it's a cat 1010 that's rated a bit light for seawater RO, depending on salinity and temp you want an operating pressure from about 700psi to 950pdi. Usually you would rate the pump at say 1200 psi to avoid running right on the limits.


As to driving all those devices, some of these will have considerable power requirements and you can have serious side loading issues.

You may need a jack shaft design to upload those forces appropriately

Dave


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:09   #14
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If it's a cat 1010 that's rated a bit light for seawater RO, depending on salinity and temp you want an operating pressure from about 700psi to 950pdi. Usually you would rate the pump at say 1200 psi to avoid running right on the limits.


As to driving all those devices, some of these will have considerable power requirements and you can have serious side loading issues.

You may need a jack shaft design to upload those forces appropriately

Dave
Thanks a bunch Though I guess I'm such a rube I'm not sure how that works; in a serpentine arrangement; isn't the only real side load the pressure of the tensioner and the torque of the belt itself? (And wouldn't that torque be the same to the crank/main bearings no matter what? For example does a transmission mated to a bell housing induce less stress on the mains because it's aligned and supported?

I have not sat down and done much research yet on which parts I am actually gonna use but in my head I do wanna keep them at or under about 5hp of load I'd like to "maybe" have the option of using two at a time but am thinking the need to do that would be rare

I did find my pulley though; ThermalKing makes a very similar APU for semis and they have the part; they even sent me dimensional drawings a Machinist could use but they also wanted $276 for it and I have a hard time paying half the price of the motor for a frikken aluminium sprocket

I also found a used/dead Blackrock APU with the sprocket for $90 or a brand new one from go green APU for 135
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26   #15
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: How to find parts for fabrication? Yanmar DIY generator

Just to follow up; I was able to find a part that's used on a couple different semi-truck APU's

Thermo king didn't have it in stock and it was $279 They did however fax me very detailed schematics from which I probably could have had it machined


But then I also found a used one for $90 and a new one from 'go green' apu's for $150 so I went ahead and just got the new on (prolly a waste but oh well)


Anyways the marina guys got the thing hoisted up on deck with a forklift and I started cutting out some steel in the engine room with the plasma cutter

SO I guess that's steps 1 through three of 49,536 of building this thing

Only took me three and half weeks but here's the purdy sprocket
__________________

__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fabric, generator, parts, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless fabrication for pulpits and bowsprit ShayW Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 17-06-2011 15:13
Bow Sheath/Chafe Plate Fabrication KDH Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 02-05-2011 10:01
Where to Get Stainless Fabrication Done ? mrybas Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 15-11-2010 21:07
Yard for Aluminum Fabrication in Third World ? Tarboxpete Construction, Maintenance & Refit 11 07-07-2010 03:01
Fuel Line Fabrication hanschristian38 Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 27-11-2009 16:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.