Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 07:40   #1

How to Clean Oil Scum off Hull

Where I have my boat parked just now it is getting periodically washed in oil scum from pump outs on nearby tankers. As the boat rocks in this it sticks about 4 inches or so above the anti foul line. Think it is staining the GRP.

I tried an extendible brush and detergent. Only seemed to drag the muck further up. Was thinking of getting a Karcher pressure unit. Anyone with some useful alternative experience?

Note the boat is wet berthed, and as oil floats the problem is only near the water line. Moving is not an ideal option as I just paid up for 12 mths berth. It is 46' long so pulling it out of the water is not an option either.
mblowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 08:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: How to clean oil scum off hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblowes View Post
Where I have my boat parked just now it is getting periodically washed in oil scum from pump outs on nearby tankers. As the boat rocks in this it sticks about 4 inches or so above the anti foul line. Think it is staining the GRP.

I tried an extendible brush and detergent. Only seemed to drag the muck further up. Was thinking of getting a Karcher pressure unit. Anyone with some useful alternative experience?

Note the boat is wet berthed, and as oil floats the problem is only near the water line. Moving is not an ideal option as I just paid up for 12 mths berth. It is 46' long so pulling it out of the water is not an option either.
Try a spray of WD-40. It will easily remove oil scum and itself can be removed with soapy water. Oil scum remaining on a hull for long will discolor the gel-coat.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil