Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 03:37   #16

Boat: Logan 33
Re: How to care for cabin woodwork

If I go with something I can wipe on, I’m thinking it probably won’t offer much protection from physical damage. That’s another downside of polyurethane too.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:28   #17

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Neziak, I usually apply the varnish diluted about 10%. I wipe the surface down with acetone before varnishing. I should mention that I do this in my boat to maintain the interior varnish, which is in perfect condition. If you have any spots where the varnish has failed (and the wood is discoloured), you have to deal with those spots first I am really happy with the results in my boat- perfect, smooth finish with almost no effort.

Thanks Copacabana.

Seperated question - does anybody have a solution to removing a suncream mark from varnished wood aside from sanding and revarnishing? We have tried vinegar and Murphys.
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42   #18

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our boat was built in 1984 and has a fabulous teak interior (according to the sales brochure, it has 19 coats of hand-rubbed varnish). The original owner’s manual says to clean the interior surfaces, just use a soft, damp cloth. But, what do the Dutch know about building/maintaining boats?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45   #19

Not sure what Tashiba, Baba etc used. My CT was something other than varnish, more like Nitrocellulose or similar. I would probably avoid 409 as it does sometimes create a white blush on some finishes. Murphy's might work well to degrease the galley area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:41   #20

Nice work! so classy, I like such staff. Woodwork requires a lot of work and care...Usually, when I create such pieces, firstly I use a good dust collector to remove any particles, then finish with varnish. For cleaning I use only gentle products, even simple soap. But I liked your life-hacks as lemon-water. I will try!
AlexJk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:56   #21

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I used a product called Restor-zit over the original sprayed lacquer on our Formosa's teak interior, wipe-on wipe-off. Nice satin finish.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:27   #22

I have heard about this product, but I was doubting! Thanks for sharing, now I should definitely try it. Our problem is constant work and dust and other dirt, therefore I am searching always for solutions to clean the previous works without destroying the upper layer. But as I told you, a good dust collector is always the first step
AlexJk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 13:51   #23

Boat: Skarpsno

Has anyone heard of using “Magic Eraser” or similar melamine sponge product to clean interior teak before refinishing. Will it harm interior teak? I have heard to not use Murphy Wood cleaner from some; others - including an old Cruising World article ( ~ 2010) - suggest Murphy Soap is what to use.
I’m also trying to decide whether to use a polyurethane or a matte varnish for refinishing. A Practical Sailor article says either one.
Marrowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 14:18   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Interior woodwork on a boat can and should be treated like fine furniture or cabinetry. You will find care products and home centers or better yet, paint stores where you can probably get expert advice.

You could also search the Internet for furniture or cabinetry care.

Years ago there was a brand which if memory serves me was "Homer Formby". They ad a good selection of wood care and refinishing products.

Tags
cabin